VMware Cloud Community
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

autodploy vcli commands

Hi,

I've setup a autodeploy system in my lab following a very good tutorial at yellowbrick...  but I seem to still have a gap in my knowledge.

What I can't figure out is where my cloned image goes after the session closes.

get-vmhostimageprofile -entity will return the imageprofile name from my esxi host.

get-deployrule shows me the boot rule which marries the esximageprofile to the hostprofile

but I can't see to find the esximageprofile on the server, to say.. add another VIB to it - am I missing a command somewhere? 

Thanks

Bill

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you use the Export-EsxImageProfile cmdlet as well ?

See Step 17 in Duncan's post Cheat sheet – Auto deploy

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you use the Export-EsxImageProfile cmdlet as well ?

See Step 17 in Duncan's post Cheat sheet – Auto deploy

0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

no I did not...  I'll have to have a look at that cheat sheet, thank you very much for the info, have not exported my image.

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

arg... I didn't read carefully and created an ISO instead of a software depot zip... and now it's gone... is there any way I can get from an ISO to a software depot zip again?  I assumed... and made an ass out of just me 😞

Thanks

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can try to use software like Virtual CloneDrive to open the iso file and then create a zip file of the contents with WinZip or a simular software package.

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

doh!  I guess that just seemed too simple!  THANKYOU!

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hmm, I guess it isn't quite that simple, there isn't an index.xml in the .ISO.  I guess that must be createe on export to software depot zip using export-vmhostimageprofile? 

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can't you use that index.xml file to import the packages back into a depot ?

Can you try this with the Add-EsxSoftwareDepot cmdlet ?

0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

well, the problem is that there is no index.xml in the iso image - that I can see...

So when I zip up the mounted iso image and use add-esxsoftwaredepot and provide the zip file, it fails saying there is no index.xml

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm afraid I know of no solution then.

Guess you will have to create the image again, but with PowerCLI automation that should be a piece of cake Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

yes, looks like I am heading that direction... well, thanks for your help and ideas, I appreciate it.  One more time building an image won't hurt.. hopefully it's on the vcap dca exam as I am taking that in a couple of weeks and spending more time on autodeploy than I had planned!

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Good luck with the exams, you'll ace it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
billdossett
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks I dont feel that confident myself.  Going to be glad when it's over though and I can chill for xmas:smileycool:

Bill Dossett
0 Kudos