VMware Cloud Community
adisalvo
Contributor
Contributor

Send e-mail when a host is going into an out of Maintenance Mode

Hi,

I was looking for a way to add this feature to vSphere.  I currenlty have powercli scripts that do this through the send-mailmessage function.  We have a monitoring team and it would be great if they were auotmagically able to get this every time someone puts a host into maintenace mode or takes a host out of maintnace mode.  I was looking for an alarm and to do this as an alarm action however maintence mode is not an alarm 😞

I am sure I am missing something obvious.

Thanks for the assistnace.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik, there is an extended event that is triggered when a host enters maintenance mode.

With my Event-O-Matic you can find this, and even generate some sample code.

maintevent.png

With my script in Alarm expressions – Part 2 : Event alarms, you can define an alarm using an extended event.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

adisalvo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the starting point.  I have read both articles to try and figure out why my script with the minor adjustments is not working.

I changed Expression 1  $expression1.eventTypeID = "VMware.Vim.EnteringMaintenaceModeEvent" and Expression 2 $expression2.eventTypeID = "VMware.Vim.ExitMaintenceModeEvent"

I also adjusted the $alarm.Name = "Host Maintenace Mode"

I then ran the script and was returned

Type                     Value

Alarm                    alarm-401

So I thought it was successfull, however when I go into the GUI and check I do not see any new alarms.  Furthurmore when I run Get-AlarmDedinition I get a return of all of the enabled Alarms but this is not listed.

What did I miss?

Many thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
adisalvo
Contributor
Contributor

Also is there any way to reference the host that was being affected going into maintenace mode?  I am trying to think of how to get VMHost from the event.

Again your help is greatly apreicated.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The Alarm passes a lot of info in parameters to the script that you specify to be executed when the alarm is triggered.

In this, you would probably want to look at the VMWARE_ALARM_TARGET variable, it should hold the VMHost.

All this is explained in a great document called More Fun with vSphere Alarms.

It contains great info, and some great pointers to other posts

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos