VMware Cloud Community
mansighthear
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Need Help on "New-VM -VMFilePath <vmxpath>" When Using $Variable Instead of Path String

Hi everyone!

I'm quite new to this forum, to PowerShell, and to PowerCLI in general. So I may need your understanding and generous help on this...

I've created a simple script that should remove/unregister a VM (based on a text file), and register them to a new cluster based on the vmx file location extracted through a function called "Get-VMXPath" (get it here: Script Get the VMX Path for VMware VMs​)

$filename = "ztest.txt"

$location = "C:\Scripts\_Migration\ztest"

$vmList = Get-Content "$location\$filename.txt"

foreach ($vm in $vmList)

{

$vmxpath = Get-VMXPath $vm | select VMXPath

Remove-VM -VM $vm -DeleteFromDisk:$false -Confirm:$false -RunAsync

New-VM -VMFilePath $vmxpath -ResourcePool (Get-Cluster Cluster_Name | Get-ResourcePool ResourcePool_Name)

}

I'm having issues with Line 8, particularly, the variable $vmxpath. When I use this variable, I get this error:

New-VM : 8/14/2017 4:01:22 PM    New-VM        '@{VMXPath=[datastore01] vmfolder/vm.vmx}' is not valid datastore path.   

At line:1 char:1

+ New-VM -VMFilePath $vmxpath -ResourcePool (Get-Cluster Cluster_Name ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-VM], InvalidArgument

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Common_DatastorePathHelper_ValidateDatastorePath_InvalidPath,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Command

s.NewVM

But when I don't use the $vmxpath variable, and use the actual value of "[datastore01] vmfolder/vm.vmx" instead, it works.

As I've said, I'm new to PowerCLI and PowerShell in general, so I might be missing out on how to insert a variable to property or to the PowerCLI new-vm switch -VMFilePath.

Also, just a side note, we're migrating ~100+ vms from one cluster to another, but we're unable to vMotion due to some errors (which is still getting fixed). So I was hoping to use this script to perform the migration.

Hoping for your kind assistance on this, thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The object in the variable $vm is not the newly registered VM, in fact that VM has just be unregistered.

Try like this

$filename = "vmList.txt" 

$location = "x:\folder" 

$TargetCluster = "Cluster_Name" 

$TargetResourcePool = "ResourcePool_Name" 

$TargetNetworkName = "Network_Label" 

$vmList = Get-Content "$location\$filename" 

foreach ($vm in (Get-VM -name $vmList)) 

Stop-VM -vm $vm -Confirm:$false 

$newVM = New-VM -VMFilePath $vm.ExtensionData.Config.Files.VmPathName -ResourcePool (Get-Cluster $TargetCluster | Get-ResourcePool $TargetResourcePool

Get-NetworkAdapter -VM $newVM | Set-NetworkAdapter -NetworkName $TargetNetworkName -Confirm:$false 

Start-VM -vm $newVM 

Get-VMQuestion -vm $newVM | Set-VMQuestion -Option "button.uuid.movedTheVM" -Confirm:$false 

}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

10 Replies
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In your script, the $vmxpath variable contains an object with a VMXPath property. The variable does not contain a string. You should modify line 6 of your script into:

$vmxpath = Get-VMXPath $vm | select -ExpandProperty VMXPath

or

$vmxpath = (Get-VMXPath $vm).VMXPath

I prefer the second option.

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Leave out the Get-VmxPath function, that vale is readily available from the VM.

Like this

$filename = "ztest.txt" 

$location = "C:\Scripts\_Migration\ztest" 

$vmList = Get-Content "$location\$filename.txt" 

foreach ($vm in (Get-VM -Name $vmList)) 

New-VM -VMFilePath $vm.ExtensionData.Config.Files.VmPathName -ResourcePool (Get-Cluster Cluster_Name | Get-ResourcePool ResourcePool_Name

}

mansighthear
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi RvdNieuwendijk​ and LucD​​, thanks for your replies!! You guys are awesome!

I've only tried RvdNieuwendijk​​'s recommendation (2nd one) for the initial batch. It's working quite fine!

For the next batch, I'll try LucD's recommendation.

I'll let you guys know, thanks again! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mansighthear
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi LucD

I've revised my script to include a few lines of commands required for the migration:

$filename = "vmList.txt"

$location = "X:\folder"

$TargetNetworkName = "NetworkLabel"

foreach ($vm in $vmList)

{

$vmxpath = (Get-VMXPath $vm).VMXPath

New-VM -VMFilePath $vmxpath -ResourcePool (Get-Cluster Cluster_Name | Get-ResourcePool ResourcePool_Name)

Get-VM $vm | Get-NetworkAdapter | Set-NetworkAdapter -NetworkName $TargetNetworkName -Confirm:$false

Start-VM -vm $vm

Get-VMQuestion -vm $vm | Set-VMQuestion -Option "button.uuid.movedTheVM" -Confirm:$false

}

Also, I've tried your recommendation to remove Line 7 [$vmxpath = (Get-VMXPath $vm).VMXPath], and changed Line 10 to New-VM -VMFilePath $vm.ExtensionData.Config.Files.VmPathName -ResourcePool (Get-Cluster Cluster_Name | Get-ResourcePool ResourcePool_Name), but I'm getting the following error:

New-VM : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'VMFilePath'. The argument is null or empty. Provide an argument that is not null or empty,

and then try the command again.

At line:10 char:24

+ ...  New-VM -VMFilePath $vm.ExtensionData.Config.Files.VmPathName -Resour ...

+                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [New-VM], ParameterBindingValidationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewVM

I'm on PowerCLI 6.5 Release 1 build 4624819.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you also update the ForEach in line 4 as I showed?

0 Kudos
mansighthear
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I did forget to update the foreach line. Thanks!

The new-vm line now works. I like your recommended implementation because I wouldn't need the Get-VMXPath function to get this script running.

Here's my updated script with your recommendation:

$filename = "vmList.txt"

{

New-VM -VMFilePath $vm.ExtensionData.Config.Files.VmPathName -ResourcePool (Get-Cluster $TargetCluster | Get-ResourcePool $TargetResourcePool)

Get-VM $vm | Get-NetworkAdapter | Set-NetworkAdapter -NetworkName $TargetNetworkName -Confirm:$false

Start-VM -vm $vm

Get-VMQuestion -vm $vm | Set-VMQuestion -Option "button.uuid.movedTheVM" -Confirm:$false

}

However, I'm now encountering new errors on the succeeding lines (13 and 14) for the start-vm and get-vmquestion.

I'm now getting the following error:

Start-VM : 8/15/2017 1:13:28 PM    Start-VM           

At line:13 char:5

+     Start-VM -vm $vm

+     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Start-VM], ManagedObjectNotFound

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_VMServiceImpl_StartVM_ViError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.StartVM

Get-VMQuestion : 8/15/2017 1:13:28 PM    Get-VMQuestion        The object has already been deleted or has not been completely

created   

At line:14 char:5

+     Get-VMQuestion -vm $vm | Set-VMQuestion -Option "button.uuid.move ...

+     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-VMQuestion], ManagedObjectNotFound

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_VMServiceImpl_GetVMQuestion_ViError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.GetVMQues

tion

But when I issue the start-vm and get-vmquestion commands without using the variable $vm, I'm able to start and answer the question.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The object in the variable $vm is not the newly registered VM, in fact that VM has just be unregistered.

Try like this

$filename = "vmList.txt" 

$newVM = New-VM -VMFilePath $vm.ExtensionData.Config.Files.VmPathName -ResourcePool (Get-Cluster $TargetCluster | Get-ResourcePool $TargetResourcePool

Get-NetworkAdapter -VM $newVM | Set-NetworkAdapter -NetworkName $TargetNetworkName -Confirm:$false 

Start-VM -vm $newVM 

Get-VMQuestion -vm $newVM | Set-VMQuestion -Option "button.uuid.movedTheVM" -Confirm:$false 

}

mansighthear
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I see, but it's weird because when I checked the value of $vm, it's showing the vm name (of the last vm name from the list, per foreach).

Anyhow, having the $newVM did the trick! Thanks a lot!!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Fyi, yes, the Name of the VM is the same.

vCentergets that from the DisplayName in the VMX file you registered.

But if you look at the Id field, you'll notice that these are different, and it's that field that is the unique identifier for the VM to the vCenter.

0 Kudos
mansighthear
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh, I see. I understand unique identifiers, but I haven't dug that deeper to see/compare them before and after registration. I'll take note of that, thanks a lot!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos