VMware Cloud Community
rlboyd
Contributor
Contributor

Errors trying to use New-VIProperty

I'm trying to use an example that was posted in an article about managing DRS rules with PowerCLI.

Here is what I'm seeing:

PowerCLI C:\Users> New-VIProperty -Name VMnames -ObjectType DrsVMAffinityRule -Value {

>> param($rule)

>> foreach($vm in $rule.VMIDs) {(Get-VM -Id $vm).Name}

>> }

>>

New-VIProperty : 9/17/2013 3:20:24 PM    New-VIProperty        Could not find Type with Name 'DrsVMAffinityRule'.

At line:1 char:1

+ New-VIProperty -Name VMnames -ObjectType DrsVMAffinityRule -Value {

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (DrsVMAffinityRule:String) [New-VIProperty], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Common_CommonUtil_FilterCollection_ObjectNotFound,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewVI

Property

Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?   I copied the example straight from the blog.

Here is what I see when I check to see what property type names are available:

PowerCLI C:\Users> Get-VIPropertyValidTypeNames dr

TypeName                                                                      IsManaged VimTypes

--------                                                                      --------- --------

DrsRecommendation                                                                 False VMware.Vim.ClusterRecommendation

DrsVMHostAffinityRule                                                             False VMware.Vim.ClusterVmHostRuleInfo

FloppyDrive                                                                       False VMware.Vim.VirtualFloppy

DrsVMAntiAffinityRule                                                             False VMware.Vim.ClusterAntiAffinityRuleSpec

DrsVMAffinityRule                                                                 False VMware.Vim.ClusterAffinityRuleSpec

CDDrive                                                                           False VMware.Vim.VirtualCdrom

It appears that the name DrsVMAffinityRule is known, but the New-VIProperty cmdlet is unhappy with something, maybe not really what it's complaining about?

Thanks for any insight into what might be going on.

1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

To clarify for others, you are referring to the module provided in Let’s Make New-VIProperty Easier.

It looks indeed like this is a deficiency in the New-VIProperty cmdlet.

Apparently the help for the cmdlet is not correct when it says "All PowerCLI object types are supported".

Closer inspection showed that the following types are not supported by the New-VIProperty cmdlet, allthough the Get-VIPropertyValidTypeNames function says they are.

DrsVMHostAffinityRule

DrsVMAntiAffinityRule

StartPolicy

DrsVMAffinityRule

TeamingPolicy

TeamingVirtualSwitchPolicy

TeamingVirtualPortGroupPolicy

I would also like to learn the reason why.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference