VMware Cloud Community
CCCNEB_EDU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connect-HVServer : There is an error in the XML document

Hi all. having troubles connecting to my Horizon View 7.3.2 environment  with PowerCLI 6.5 R1 build 4624819. I get the following error when using the Connect-HVServer command. I do not believe its my install of PowerCLI as i also have a test/dev environment at the same version and i can connect to it fine and also from different systems running powercli. Any one see this and can help? I've also got a SR open with VMware. Thanks

Connect-HVServer : There is an error in the XML document.

At line:1 char:1

+ Connect-HVServer -Server (my connection server fqdn)

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Connect-HVServer], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Exception,VMware.VimAutomation.HorizonView.Commands.Cmdlets.ConnectHVServer

The common debug log entry i am see it this:

2018-01-19T05:33:35.401-06:00 ERROR (0A6C-14A8) <pool-17-thread-1> [CompletionTask] Failed to serialize response com.vmware.vim.vmomi.server.impl.CompletionTask.complete(CompletionTask.java:79)

(vmodl.fault.SystemError) {

faultCause = null,

faultMessage = null,

reason = RoleBase required property name not set

}

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.server.exception.ExceptionUtil.buildFaultForInternalException(ExceptionUtil.java:22)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.server.impl.CompletionTask.complete(CompletionTask.java:74)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.server.impl.CompletionTask.run(CompletionTask.java:112)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Caused by: com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.exception.MarshallException: RoleBase required property name not set

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalSubFields(MarshallerImpl.java:624)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalComplexField(MarshallerImpl.java:601)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalField(MarshallerImpl.java:309)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalSubFields(MarshallerImpl.java:631)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalComplexField(MarshallerImpl.java:601)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalField(MarshallerImpl.java:309)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalArray(MarshallerImpl.java:517)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalField(MarshallerImpl.java:297)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalSubFields(MarshallerImpl.java:631)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalArray(MarshallerImpl.java:517)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshalField(MarshallerImpl.java:297)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl$MarshalContext.marshal(MarshallerImpl.java:194)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl.marshal(MarshallerImpl.java:139)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.soap.impl.marshaller.MarshallerImpl.marshal(MarshallerImpl.java:113)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.server.impl.SoapBindingImpl.serializeResponse(SoapBindingImpl.java:180)

at com.vmware.vim.vmomi.server.impl.CompletionTask.complete(CompletionTask.java:63)

... 4 more

2018-01-19T05:33:35.409-06:00 DEBUG (0D84-1728) <AJP-57> [SimpleAJPService] (ajp:view-vlsi:Request25445) Response 500 Internal Server Error

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CCCNEB_EDU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My PowerCLI to Horizon is now working. VMware technical support discovered and issue in the ADAM database where the pae-DisplayName was not set in the CN=Directory Administrators object of OU=Groups. They are publishing a KB document soon but i just wanted to update everyone. Thanks all for the feedback.

PowerCLI VDI ADAM Issue.JPG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you providing credentials on the Connect-HVServer cmdlet?

If not, can you try by explicitly providing credentials.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
CCCNEB_EDU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, I've tried it with and without credentials as well as different accounts. I've also tried connecting direction to the all connection servers in the replic via FQDN and IP, besides the load balancer.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you check the debug logs on the Connection Server?

They should be in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\logs.

Any SID errors in there?

Any other errors at the time you run the Connect-HVserver?

0 Kudos
CCCNEB_EDU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No other errors at the time of running Connect-HVServer.  the debug log is where i get the error from the first post. The only other ones that look interesting are:

2018-01-19T05:33:35.064-06:00 DEBUG (0580-19DC) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_winauth] GetColumn failed, error 80005010

2018-01-19T05:33:35.064-06:00 WARN  (0580-19DC) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_winauth] The Active Directory LDAP tokenGroups search on entry CN=X,OU=X,OU=X,DC=X,DC=X,DC=X failed to return any values. This occurs when access to tokenGroups is denied in Active Directory

2018-01-19T05:33:35.064-06:00 WARN  (0580-19DC) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_winauth] The user's tokenGroups attribute needs to be obtained so that their group membership based entitlements can be determined

2018-01-19T05:33:35.064-06:00 WARN  (0580-19DC) <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_winauth] Please ensure in Active Directory that the computer account for this Connection Server has access to this user's tokenGroups attribute

but i also get this when i make a successful Connect-HVServer in my test/dev environment. The only major difference there is that its been rebuilt during version 6 and my production has been upgraded from 4, 5, etc.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm afraid I haven't seen this before, looks like a bug.

I would suggest to open a SR.

0 Kudos
CCCNEB_EDU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My PowerCLI to Horizon is now working. VMware technical support discovered and issue in the ADAM database where the pae-DisplayName was not set in the CN=Directory Administrators object of OU=Groups. They are publishing a KB document soon but i just wanted to update everyone. Thanks all for the feedback.

PowerCLI VDI ADAM Issue.JPG

0 Kudos