VMware Cloud Community
NAS91
Contributor
Contributor

Applying static IPs to Windows Server 2012+ with Customization Specifications

Has anyone successfully been able to apply static IPs via Cust Specs? I found a KB article saying it doesn't work on Vista and up. If that were the case it seems odd that it hasn't been resolved or is still an option in Windows Cust Specs. If I absolutely have to, I can use Invoke-VMScript, but i'd prefer to know it out in a single go. I do this via PowerCLI and don't have access to VRO/VRA.

KB Article:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1029174

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That KB is about a custom sysprep file provided in an OSCustomizationSpec, it is not about using the regular static IP settings in an OSCustomizationSpec.

For more info on custom sysprep, see Create a Customization Specification for Windows Using a Custom Sysprep Answer File

To see an example script, see p 251 from our PowerCLI Reference Ed 2

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
NAS91
Contributor
Contributor

LucD,

Thank you for the response. I'm actually using that example you referred to.  The temporary cust spec is created and applied to the VM without any issues and the screen shot I attached is a snapshot of that temp cust spec, showing that the IP info is infact in there. However, after the VMs applies it, the NIC is still set to DHCP. All other customizations are applied.

I'm running vCenter 6.7U3. It may not matter, but there is a bug in this update when it comes to applying cust specs via content library VM deploys. This is a different scenario, since the VM was fully deployed and then had the cust spec applied after and the VM powered on.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

It shouldn't matter if the OSCustomizationSpec is applied on an existing VM.

Not sure which bug, related to Content Library, you are referring to.
To be honest I don't use Content Libraries because, you know, Content Libraries :smileygrin:

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos