VMware Networking Community
rajeevsrikant
Expert
Expert

NSX Edge Split Brain - Scenario

Below article explains with NSX Edge 6.2.2 split brain scenario is possible.

Split-brain scenario on NSX/vShield Edge configured for High Availability (HA) (2117922) | VMware KB

In this it is explained that, in case of Edge GW in Dual Active - Active scenario, the end VM gets the MAC of both Edge Gateway.

So wanted to confirm if this scenario is applicable only to VM's which are directly connected to Edge GW or is it applicable to VM connecting to DLR and then to Edge

The reason I am checking this is because I am using NSX version is 6.2.2. So wanted to confirm if I will be hitting this bug or not.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is only for VM's directly connected to the Edge Gateway. If the VMs are attached to a LS on a DLR they will not receive the MAC address of the ESG because it is not in the same subnet. VM's will use the DLR as default gateway and from there it will be routed upstream to the ESG.

0 Kudos
rajeevsrikant
Expert
Expert

Thanks.

Yes my understanding is the same.

But the concern i have it, due to some reason if the heart beat is not received between Active & Standby devices, then there are chances that both become active.

If this happens then  the DLR will receive different MAC Address & it can cause traffic to be interrupted.

I am considering DLR as a VM here , which can get into this problem.

Let me know if my logic is right.

0 Kudos
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Your logic is right. The DLR will receive different MAC addresses.

0 Kudos
rajeevsrikant
Expert
Expert

any one who are using NSX version 6.2.2 had faced this split brain scenario with NSX Edge Gateway in HA

0 Kudos