VMware Networking Community
aqwelea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NSX 6.2 - VCD-SP8 : Fail to start a vApp

Hi there,

This post just to share my experience on a little issue observed in VCD-SP 8 after an upgrade  from NSX 6.1.4 to NSX 6.2 in my lab.

My lab consists of :

vSphere 6 u1

vCD-SP 8

NSX 6.2.0

In NSX 6.1.4, i had prepared all the logical network settings but the Multicast addresses as i did not want to use it. I was then able to start any of my VCD vApp.

When i upgraded to NSX 6.2 i had not tried to start my VCD vApp for a bunch of reason (i had some other stuff to deal with).

So yesterday, around one month after the upgrade i decided to start some vApp. What a big surprise !!!! Just look at the following screenshot

pastedImage_0.png

vcloud-container-debug.log talked about universal edge settings.

pastedImage_2.png

All that first led me to think about a compatibility issue between NSX 6.2 and VCD-SP.

I then double checked the VCD-SP error and noticed the last line. I finally understood that my problem were due to my multicast settings... which were NULL :smileyconfused:

I typed something and tried to start my vApp, BINGO !! Smiley Happy

pastedImage_1.png

MY QUESTION HERE :

WHY MULTICAST ADDRESS SETTINGS ARE MANDATORY EVEN WHEN MULTICAST WILL NOT BE USED !!

I assume that is to prevent configuration issue if we change our mind and decide to use multicast as replication mode but is there any technical reason ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aqwelea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I finally understood why i had to configure Multicast addresses.

One my several transport zones was (by mistake) using Multicast replication mode.

I set it to unicast mode and cleared multicast settings in logical network preparation.

I tried once more time to start a vApp => success !!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
aqwelea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I finally understood why i had to configure Multicast addresses.

One my several transport zones was (by mistake) using Multicast replication mode.

I set it to unicast mode and cleared multicast settings in logical network preparation.

I tried once more time to start a vApp => success !!

0 Kudos