VMware Networking Community
Yacudzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migration NSX-v 6.4.9 to NSX-T 3.1.2

Hello.

I tried to migrate NSX-v to NSX-t. I have standart license of NSX.

When I make laboratory stand with NSX-v I didnot applied any "Professional", "Advanced" or "Enterprise" features.

However, on "Migrate configuration" stage I get the error:

"Errors: Config migration failed [Reason: HTTP Error: 403: This feature is not supported with the current applied license. Please upgrade your license in order to use this feature. for url: http://localhost:6440/policy/api/v1/infra"

How can I know what feature I shoud tourned off??

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
khdwinter
Contributor
Contributor

Hi i'm facing the same issue. did you get an answer and could you find the reason for this error?

0 Kudos
SrVMoussa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

I am not sure about license [At the moment], I may check on that and come back to you 

Can you export the migration coordinator logs [more important the cm directory] from the leading NSX Node? 

Please feel free to DM if I didn't follow well in thread here .. 

Regards,
Khalid Moussa
0 Kudos
Smith052
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for the same issue. Bumped into your thread. Thanks for creating it. Looking forward for solution.

rapidfs account

0 Kudos
khdwinter
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Khalid,

thanks you. could you please tell me to find the cm directory inside the support-bundle?

some adition to our setup: we do not use any networking features like overlay-networking, routing etc.. routing switching firewalling is all done in the upstream network.

we only use vedges to secure connections between some vlan-based portgroups. therefore we can not understand the licensing error

Regards

Markus Winter

SrVMoussa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Edit:- Can you find these rules from V, delete it just for the sake of migration, migrate and reconfigure as you wish in T?

Is this is acceptable/ doable with you? 

CM.common.utils WARNING  Retrying API for the 9th time
2022-01-11 13:52:28,563 29588 CM.clients.base_client DEBUG  API tracker: REQUEST method=PATCH, url=http://localhost:7440/nsxapi/api/v1/infra/domains/default/security-policies/012c50e1-e955-4104-bffc-b76c85884abf, non-session-headers=None, params=None, data={"id": "012c50e1-e955-4104-bffc-b76c85884abf", "resource_type": "CommunicationMap", "description": "The name of this section in V setup is: 'Default Section Layer3' and its description is: ''. This section is imported from the V setup by V2T migrator.", "display_name": "Default Section Layer3", "tcp_strict": false, "stateful": true, "sequence_number": 1, "category": "Application", "rules": [{"resource_type": "CommunicationEntry", "id": "1003", "display_name": "Default Rule NDP", "description": "The name of this rule in V setup is: 'Default Rule NDP' and it has the following notes: ''. This rule is imported from the V setup by V2T migrator.", "logged": "false", "action": "ALLOW", "source_groups": ["ANY"], "destination_groups": ["ANY"], "sequence_number": 1, "services": ["/infra/services/IPv6-ICMP_Neighbor_Advertisement", "/infra/services/IPv6-ICMP_Neighbor_Solicitation"], "disabled": "false", "direction": "IN_OUT", "ip_protocol": "IPV4_IPV6", "scope": ["ANY"]}, {"resource_type": "Commun ...
2022-01-11 13:52:28,583 29588 CM.clients.base_client ERROR  Failed to PATCH http://localhost:7440/nsxapi/api/v1/infra/domains/default/security-policies/012c50e1-e955-4104-bffc-b76c85884abf with status: 403 and reason: {
  "details" : "This feature is not supported with the current applied license. Please upgrade your license in order to use this feature.",
  "httpStatus" : "FORBIDDEN",
  "error_code" : 505,
  "module_name" : "common-services",
  "error_message" : "This feature is not supported with the current applied license. Please upgrade your license in order to use this feature."

Can you please tell me if there's any V DFW rules been there, or if there's any that can be removed during the V2T and then reconfigure ? 

The below line could mean many thing .....  I am sure your VC is connected to NSXv and the connection is healthy, please just confirm this and if there's any unused dvpg/ without active uplinks - just delete it or attach it 

CM.engine.xlate_engine

If that didn't help you, please DM me 

Regards,
Khalid Moussa
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
SrVMoussa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Smith052 

For V2Ts you may see similar errors, warning ... etc - but the root would be different.

Please attach the migration logs, and I will help as much as I can 

Regards,
Khalid Moussa
0 Kudos
khdwinter
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Khalid,

we do not have any DFW in place. only vEdges. i allready tired to remove the vEdges prior the migration giving the same result.

meanwhile we opened a SR and TechSupport is investigating the support-bundle.

i will come back with the results 

thx for your help

Markus

0 Kudos
SrVMoussa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Seem T can't implement the same or some DFW rules " Default ones" for some reason 

1. I am sure you can create any DFW rules you wish on T side, yes ? 

I need to look at the full bundle [i.e: policy and manager logs] to track this one:- 

failed to PATCH http://localhost:7440/nsxapi/api/v1/infra/domains/default/security-policies/012c50e1-e955-4104-bffc-b76c85884abf with status: 403 and reason: {

2. Please DM me the SR number, I may co-operate with them ? 

Regards,
Khalid Moussa
0 Kudos
khdwinter
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Khalid,

1.we have not setup any DFW rules and the we are not able to delte the default rule in NSX-V

On the NSX-T side we only installed the NSXT-Manager, installed the license key and fired the migration-coordinator.

2. SR is send to you via DM

thanks

Markus

0 Kudos
SrVMoussa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Markus

I see the T can't post sime DFW elements, but the license it blocking that, I kisy assume a license upgrade would be required 

Regards,
Khalid Moussa
0 Kudos
khdwinter
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Khalid,

thx for digging in. We do not have any feature in place that would require a license upgrade.

because even without any feature konfigured the migration failes.

we will see what TS investigates. maybe they have more detailed results

0 Kudos
SrVMoussa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For sure yes, you can send them the V and T License information 

Regards,
Khalid Moussa
0 Kudos
khdwinter
Contributor
Contributor