VMware Networking Community
PXA-IDS
Contributor
Contributor

Breaking Cross-vCenter for NSX-T Migration

Hey everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me here.

I have a client that I'm in the process of migrating from NSX-V to NSX-T. We got the project after NSX-V was already off support and there's been a lot of confusion during the process I won't go into, so it's taken a lot longer than planned.

The relevant short story is this: The client was running Cross-vCenter in NSX-V, but is not in a position to afford the federated licensing required to keep a similar configuration going. The decision has been made to break Cross-vCenter, turn each of their two sites into standalone sites and use the Migration Coordinator on each site separately. This was done in consultation with support.

However, the problem is I don't know what process to follow to actually break Cross-vCenter. There was official documentation for this up until NSX-T 3.2 when federation was introduced and since then, it's been completely scrubbed. My support rep spent quite a bit of time trying to find it and had no luck. If we can't break Cross-vCenter, we can't proceed. The process is still valid, I just can't find anything about it.

Does anyone happen to know the process of breaking Cross-vCenter and could relay it to me? If I can get past this one hurdle, finishing the migration should be easy.

Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I do not know if there is a documentation explaining step by step on how to remove the Cross vCenter but basically all relies on doing some networking reconfigurations from Universal to Local objects and then changing the NSX-V Manager modes to completely remove it from Universal:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-NSX-Data-Center-for-vSphere/6.4/com.vmware.nsx.cross-vcenter-insta...

What I would do is creating some local objects, and do the needed changes in order to force traffic to go form the local subnets instead of the universal ones and then start decomissioning slowly each of the objects. Once you have that, you can disconnect the NSX Managers from each other.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos