VMware Horizon Community
AndrewWWhite
Contributor
Contributor

Using an existing VM with free trial of VMWare Horizon

Is it possible to use an existing VM (build by a co-worker) on my free trial version of VMWare Horizon?  How can I do this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Its not a free trial... its a 60 day eval which acts like a normal version... for 60days.

Yes its possible to add a already existing VM to add to a Horizon pool. Its not a requirement that a VDI VM was created trough Horizon.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
AndrewWWhite
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply Joerg.  

With the eval version, a browser window opens which simulates a Windows environment.  I have a set of files for an Ubuntu Linux VM, with file extensions .mf, .ovf, .vmdk.  Together, this set of files takes up 25.7 Gb.  It is not apparent to me how I can load these files through the browser to simulate my Linux VM.  Could you point to any instructions for how to do this, please?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

We leave VMware Horizon out of the game for a short time...  importing a existing VM/VA or just files is an simple job for the vsphere administrator. So log into your vSphere Client (your vCenter aka VCSA) and on DC,Cluster or Host level do a right click within the left tree and select "Deploy OVF Template". You follow the wizard and choose "local" files which let you select multiple files like your *.ovf, *.vmdk which creates a VM. You need to modify the vNetwork and start the VM with a open console because most likely you need to adjust the OS networking(depends on DHCP vs. fixed IPv4).
The same can archived when connecting directly to a ESXi Host Client. You have to select "Create new VM" followed by a subselection of "from OVF/OVA".

If you have just the simple files you have to create a VM with the right specs (SCSI Controller) but without vDisks. These vDisk(*.vmdk) you can upload trough the WebGUI under ->Datastores-> Datastore -> Files. There is a simple file browser within vSphere- Host Client. After the upload you have to edit the VM Settings and add the vDisk to the VM.

After that you need to install Horizon AGENT within the VM GuestOS and after that you can go back to the Horizon Admin pannel and add this VM to a new or existing pool.

OVA and OFV are two formats for importing/exporting VMs which are also supported on other Hypervisor plattforms as well.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos