VMware Communities
fcol313
Contributor
Contributor

virus scanning boot camp disk from diff VM

I have an XP Boot Camp partition but usually run it as a virtual machine. I haven't installed any anti-virus software since I can't stand the performance hit. I was thinking of installing Kaspersky Anti-Virus onto a separate VM, sharing the boot camp disk with the VM, and then scanning the shared boot camp disk via this other VM. I can't think of a reason of why this wouldn't work, but I don't want to take a chance of screwing up the Boot Camp partition. Has anyone done this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How are you planning to share the disk? Are you wanting to scan via Kaspersky at the same time you're using the Boot Camp virtual machine?

0 Kudos
fcol313
Contributor
Contributor

I was going to just share via the Fusion-Virtual Machine-Settings-Enable Shared Disk function (and choose the entire "Untitled" Boot Camp partition as the shared folder). And no, I would make sure the Boot Camp VM was completely shut down. It's formatted as NTFS, if that matters. Thanks

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

While I don't virus scan my Boot Camp partition but I regularly mount it as a secondary disk in a VM with no problems. I do this by manually editing my VM files. In fact I have multiple "Boot Camp" VMs which are nothing but clones of the official one, configured in slightly different ways.

Also my Boot Camp partition has Vista and I mount it on XP with no side-effects. If your Boot Camp partition is formatted with FAT32 then even OS X could scan it for viruses. Although I would not trust a virus scanner on the Mac for catching Windows viruses Smiley Wink

admin
Immortal
Immortal

would make sure the Boot Camp VM was completely shut down. It's formatted as NTFS, if that matters. Thanks

I was going to just share via the Fusion-Virtual Machine-Settings-Enable Shared Disk function (and choose the entire "Untitled" Boot Camp partition as the shared folder).

I don't think a Shared Folder will work; those rely on OS X to read/write the filesystem, but by default OS X can't write to NTFS. Richard's suggestion (connecting the Boot Camp raw disk to the second virtual machine) is likely to work.

And no, I would make sure the Boot Camp VM was completely shut down.

Good, just making sure Smiley Happy

Although I would not trust a virus scanner on the Mac for catching Windows viruses

Actually, I thought that was the whole point of Mac virus scanners - not to protect the Mac from infection (against what?), but rather to prevent it from acting as a carrier Smiley Happy

rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

> > rcardona2k wrote:

> > Although I would not trust a virus scanner on the Mac for catching Windows viruses

Actually, I thought that was the whole point of Mac virus scanners - not to protect the Mac from infection (against what?), but rather to prevent it from acting as a carrier Smiley Happy

Yeah, it's called "marketing" and I really like to spend money to protect Windows users too.

0 Kudos
fcol313
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I didn't know I could mount the Boot Camp disk directly. I saw your post here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/802300

I'll give it a try and report back. ( Edit: Does this post apply to using the Boot Camp disk as the secondary disk? Moving BC's .vmdk seems like trouble )

Admittedly, this virus scanning solution is pretty convoluted. It's probably easier to just install antivirus directly in the Boot Camp VM but disable it from auto-scans. I just prefer keeping the BC VM as lean as possible.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks. I didn't know I could mount the Boot Camp disk directly. I saw your post here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/802300

I'll give it a try and report back. ( Edit: Does this post apply to using the Boot Camp disk as the secondary disk? Moving BC's .vmdk seems like trouble )

You probably don't want to move the .vmdk, but rather edit the .vmx config file to reference it. See if you need help getting at the .vmx file.

0 Kudos