VMware Communities
Kura34
Contributor
Contributor

use full resolution for retina display - Yosemite

Hey,

I've just installed new image of Yosemite. I'm on MBP also with Yosemite but I want to play with some software without doing my machine dirty...

I saw a lot of articles about problems with Retina and Windows but I can't find anything with OSx.

My problem is that resolution is just bad... like 640x480... the mouse pointer is lagged and slow... When I clicked "about this mac" it shows "display 3mb".

I played with display settings in my VM Fusion and maked "3D acceleration for 1024mb" and also I marked "use full resolution for retina display". Still the same...

Any idea? when I run image of Windows on the same VM software it works perfect!

my mac: 10.10.3

image: 10.10.4

VM: 7.1.1

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You mention VM: 7.1.1 does that mean you are running VMware Fusion 7.1.1 or are you running VMware Fusion Tech Preview?

Btw, install VMware Tools for your display problem.

3D is not supported for OS X guests, so setting that doesn't help.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Kura34
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Wila,

VMware Tools helped! thank you so much!

two more questions Smiley Happy

now fonts and everything is in correct resolution but super small... something like option of "make icons bigger for retina display" would be needed

and still... system is not super responsive as I have felling with VM for Win7 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's not going to 'feel' as responsive as Windows, mostly due to the graphics capabilities of OS X VMs (which are limited...)

I am curious tho, as Wila asked, are you running this in Fusion 7 or Fusion Tech Preview 2015 (which is the forum you posted in, btw...)

If it's a problem, I'd like to investigate using the correct version, naturally Smiley Wink

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Kura34
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mikero,

Yes, I'm using Fusion 7.

Any idea why it shows the font so small and if I can do anything with this?

0 Kudos
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A workaround as below, FYI.

1. Power on your Windows VM, and login.

2. Select Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Display.

3. Uncheck "Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine" checkbox, then check it again.

# A message box of VMware Tools will appear in Windows VM to say "VMware Tools has modified the user interface size settings. You must log off to apply these changes. Close all applications and press OK to log off now, or press Cancel to log off later."

4. Click OK to log off.

5. Login again.

0 Kudos
Kura34
Contributor
Contributor

Hi zhus,

Thank you for reply, unfortunately, I dont have there option of "Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine" Smiley Sad

Only "Accelerate 3D" and "Use full resolution ..."

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The checkbox only becomes visible when the "Use full resolution" one is checked.

However as Zhus says in his first point, his steps are for a Windows VM and yours is not a Windows VM but an OS X VM.

PS: Moved your discussion from VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2015 to VMware Fusion® (for Mac)‌ as you are not running the Tech Preview and it is confusing to have the discussion in that forum while using another Fusion version.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Kura34
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila,

Thnx, for moving this topic.

Unfortunately this button does not show up on MacOS VM Smiley Sad

0 Kudos