VMware Communities
craig678
Contributor
Contributor

ubuntu-22.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso in Fusion 13

Hello, I am trying to install "ubuntu-22.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso" in VMware Fusion 13 on my macOS Monterey by dragging the iso file into VMware's "install from disk or image". However, a mac "progress circle" endlessly spins and the "continue" button remains greyed out, as in the attached image. I don't know what to do next. Please help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for Fusion, I have reported it to the moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
craig678
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I'll repost there.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I just tried this and am not seeing the behavior you're seeing.

Where is the ISO located? On your hard drive? External drive? USB stick? Network share?

What are the permissions on the ISO installer?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
craig678
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for trying Technogeezer.

The ISO was located in my downloads folder on my hard drive.

I don't know what the permissions were, but this afternoon I solved it simply by deleting the ISO and downloading it again from the Ubuntu website.

After then learning that I needed an ARM compatible ISO, I found "lunar-desktop-arm64.iso" on the Ubuntu website, downloaded, mounted (again, no problem), installed and it appears that I have my first ever VM with a functional operating system installed.

I hope to get to work with it on Monday.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Ahhh that explains it. You didn't say that you were on an Apple Silicon Mac. 

Yes, indeed you need the arm64 version of Linux distributions. amd64 Linux distributions are for Intel CPUs and won't work an Apple Silicon Mac.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos