VMware Communities
thomasbates
Contributor
Contributor

software install, out of disk space

Hello,

I have Windows 7 running on my mac. I'm having trouble installing software. I am continually getting the error message…

Out of Disk Space
You are out of disk space. The highlighted volumes do not have enough space available for the installation. Check available disk space and try again.
Volume- C:
Disk Size- 39.9 GB
Disk Space: %s required / %s available- 31.1 GB
Required- 2.83 GB
Remaining- 28.3 GB
I currently have 44.98 GB available on my hard drive. The software I want to install is only about 6 GB. Regardless, I've cleaned up quite a few unwanted files but that hasn't help matters, still the same error message.
So within VMWare I went into Virtual Machine > Settings > Hard Disk and increased the "Disk Size" from 40.00 GB to 50.00 GB. This didn't help either.
Obviously I'm not understanding how VMWare allocates memory. Any information on how I could install my software would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

So within VMWare I went into Virtual Machine > Settings > Hard Disk and increased the "Disk Size" from 40.00 GB to 50.00 GB. This didn't help either.

Have a look at: Resizing Virtual Disks With Step by Step Instructions

Obviously I'm not understanding how VMWare allocates memory.

RAM is memory not hard disk space.

thomasbates
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodyZ! That link was great. It did help me successfully change my hard disk space from 40 GB to 50 GB. BUT I'm still getting a similar error…

Out of Disk Space

You are out of disk space. The highlighted volumes do not have enough space available for the installation. Check available disk space and try again.

Volume- C:

Disk Size- 49.9 GB (was 39.9 GB)

Disk Space: %s required / %s available- 40.8 GB (was 31.1 GB)

Required- 2.83 GB (unchanged)

Remaining- 38.0 GB (was 28.3 GB)

This looks to me as though I have plenty of hard disk space but that the software doesn't see it somehow. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What Software Package are you trying to install and is a trial version available for download?

How much free space do you have on the Host?

0 Kudos
thomasbates
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to install Autodesk Inventor. I'm downloading a trial version from their site now to see if that works. '8 hours left..'

I currently have 43.5 GB of total free space on my computer.

0 Kudos
codywohlers
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with the same program with Linux as the host.  (and Win7 guest).  Did you ever get anywhere?

0 Kudos