VMware Communities
grahamfw
Contributor
Contributor

"Failed to connect to peer process"

I've already seen the thread regarding this topic, but that does not work to fix my problem. I've:

1.) Completely uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled from CD with 1.0 (with network cable disconnected, etc.) with no luck

2.) Completely uninstalled, rebooted, attempted to install from the newly downloaded Fusion 1.1 Build 62573, with no luck.

Nothing has worked and I'll be D@MNED if I have to purchase support to resolve this. It had been working flawlessly before.

I've also repaired permissions from the Leopard Disk that came with my computer. I'm also running the latest Leopard version 10.5.1.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
34 Replies
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

not sure that you have deleted the following files after uninstallation of VMware Fusion

1) To uninstall following are the steps

a) Uninstall VMware Fusion (/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Uninstall VMware Fusion)

b) Delete the following folder: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion

c) Delete following file: ~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist

d) Delete the following folder: ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion

2) Restart you system

0 Kudos
climber_rich
Contributor
Contributor

Okay. I'm having the same problem. I followed MandarMS's instructions, but I still get the same error message. It appears that the problem is in my Virtual Machine, not the program.

I think that if I delete the Windows Machine and Create a new one, it should solve the problem.

0 Kudos
climber_rich
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still having the problem. Smiley Sad

Anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
grahamfw
Contributor
Contributor

I figured out what it was that caused my problem. Perhaps we are in the same boat.

I netbooted to a 10.4.x netboot set and repaired permissions. This effectually hosed the permissions therein, so no matter of uninstalling and reinstalling would fix this. I eventually had to do an archive and reinstall and all was well.

0 Kudos
climber_rich
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't do that so I'm not sure why my Macbook Pro doesn't run fusion. I'm still searching for a solution.

0 Kudos
tdefriez
Contributor
Contributor

Can you be more specific? Did repair permissions cause the issue? Did you re-install both VMWare Fusion and Virtual Machine or which?

0 Kudos
climber_rich
Contributor
Contributor

Specifically, I am running a Macbook Pro Intel Core 2 duo that was upgraded to Leopard. Everyone was running fine and then one day I ran fusion and I got the failed to connect to peer process error. I am not running boot camp, but running windows xp in fusion. I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling according to the instructions posted in this forum, but I still can't run windows xp. I then tried uninstalling fusion, booting from a techtools protogo usb drive (leopard version), repairing permissions, reinstalling fusion, but I still get the error.

I really don't want to delete my windows installation and reinstall windows. Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
tdefriez
Contributor
Contributor

Here's how I recovered it

- Took Leopald install disk

- Re-booted

- Selected Archive and install (no choice due to pervious 10.5.1 update)

- Re-booted

- Check VMWare, it now runs using original virtual disk

- Had error about preferences file ignored

- Updated to 10.5.1

- Now fixing preference

Seems an issue with TechTools Pro as several other programs would not run before I re-installed, they also now run

I wondered why using Disk Utilities failed in Leopald, Apple need to fix this - now to check Apple site for this issue.

0 Kudos
climber_rich
Contributor
Contributor

Seems like a lot of work to get fusion running....I'm hoping that there is a simpler solution.

0 Kudos
tdefriez
Contributor
Contributor

Seems repairing the permission totally messes up a pile of permissions in the OS - so the only solution seems to be to re-install OS. I found some many wrong permissions that it was easier to just re-install - reminds me of a Windows issue back in WIndows 98. Still yet to check Apple site for this issue.

0 Kudos
mecase
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The first time I ran it on Leopard, VMWare Fusion failed the same way. After reading this discussion page I downloaded the latest VMWare Fusion (1.1.1 (72241)) and installed it. I have no idea if it overwrote the original but I assume so. The same serial number was shown to me after the install. It all works fine now.

Mike

0 Kudos
lawremp
Contributor
Contributor

Try deleting the contents of Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/kexts then reinstall. That should do it.

0 Kudos
hdbaumeister
Contributor
Contributor

I had exactly the same issue after upgrading my 10.4.12 OS to Leopard.

A deinstall of VMWare and a subsequent reinstall (in both cases 1.1.1) fixed my problems!

No need to uninstall / redo anything to do with Leopard!

0 Kudos
siluro
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same Problem since the Update to 1.1.2...

Is there a posibility to restart the peer Process?

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

Try Reinstalling Vmware Fusion

1) To uninstall following are the steps

a) Uninstall VMware Fusion (/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Uninstall VMware Fusion)

b) Delete the following folder: /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion

c) Delete following file: ~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist

d) Delete the following folder: ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion

2) Restart you system

If you have already Reinstalled Try restarting Boot.sh in Mac OS Terminal using following command

sudo /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh --restart

0 Kudos
siluro
Contributor
Contributor

Now it works! Thanks a lot..

Restarting the boot- shell skript helped.

0 Kudos
alexylee
Contributor
Contributor

And one more thing. If you keep the guest OS in suspend, this will also cause the problem.

To solve the problem, try to find the virtual machine harddisk icon. Right click on the icon and open 'Show Package Contents', delete all files except *.vmdk file. Then restart VMware Fusion. The program will rebuild the guest OS system. Now it should run correct. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

And one more thing. If you keep the guest OS in suspend, this will also cause the problem.

To solve the problem, try to find the virtual machine harddisk icon. Right click on the icon and open 'Show Package Contents', delete all files except *.vmdk file. Then restart VMware Fusion. The program will rebuild the guest OS system. Now it should run correct. :smileyblush:

If you delete everything but the .vmkd file then not only will Fusion not recognize it as a Virtual Machine, Fusion will also not automatically rebuild the files you put in the trash! One would have to manually recreate the Virtual Machine and point it to an existing virtual hard drive if one was to follow your advise!

DO NOT Delete everything but the .vmdk file unless you understand what you're doing and what you will have to do to recover!

0 Kudos
alexylee
Contributor
Contributor

Believe me if you remove all the files but *.vmdk. The guest OS runs as well as the same. I've made a backup of these removed files first and now the new virtual machine has only one file, that is *.vmdk. In my case, I've Windows XP Professional as guest OS.

0 Kudos