VMware Communities
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

experiencing jerky scrolling in windows 8.1x64 installed on VMware fusion 6.03. May mac OSX is working fine.

I have a macbook pro 13inch retina (intel iris graphics, 2.4GHZ intel i5, 8gb 1600 mhz ddr3). I Installed windows 8.1x64 on VMware fusion 6.03.

I am experiencing jerky scrolling on windows 8.1 on internet explorer and office 2013 and any other application

It looks like a typical graphics card driver problem. Mac OSX is working fine with no scrolling problems

I tried downloading a driver from intel but this doesn't seem to work as this installation stops because it can't detect the card

I previously had a macbook pro classic and fusion 3 with windows 7 and didn't experience any such problems

I would be very grateful for your help

0 Kudos
21 Replies
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

I have uninstalled and reinstalled VMware tools several times with no luck

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You can't install graphics drivers directly because the hardware isn't exposed to the guest.

Do you have 3d acceleration enabled in the guest settings?

0 Kudos
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. Yes 3D acceleration is switched on and scrolling remains jerky.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

On that machine, make sure you haven't given more than 2GB and 1 core to the virtual machine (that's a safe configuration).  Are you using an external trackpad/mouse or the internal one?

0 Kudos
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

I have it on 2gb and single core. I am using the laptop trackpad not an external one.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Hmmm....in preferences, is the mouse set to automatic, or optimize for games or something else?

0 Kudos
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

i had set it to always optimise for games but this didn't help.

0 Kudos
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

could it be because i am running 64 bit windows or is that unrelated. The same problem occurs with windows 7x64

0 Kudos
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

I installed my old copy of windows 7 (not sp1) x32bit and still experiencing this problem. it looks like a clear graphics card driver problem that is caused by this version of fusion. are there any solutions?

0 Kudos
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

any help guys thanks

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So you created a brand new VM and are still having the problem?  That's really odd - I haven't ever seen this behavior.

Are you using it in windowed, full screen or unity mode?

0 Kudos
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

I usually use full screen mode but the same occurs in windowed mode. thanks

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Got me stumped i'm afraid.   Last gasp would be to try the 2014 technical preview and see if that fixes it - they posted that a new version is coming in a few days.

0 Kudos
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

is there anyway by which the graphics card driver installed by fusion can be updated. it really looks like a driver problem?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Only by upgrading VMWare tools (which is tied to the version of Fusion) - the graphics drivers are part of that.  The technical preview has newer virtual hardware (and drivers), so that's about the only option.

0 Kudos
ManuelG13
Contributor
Contributor

Try turning on Vertical Sync (smoother for graphics, but slower for games)

mks.vsync = "1" in your *.vmx file.

0 Kudos
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the latest tech preview and no improvement. Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
jsmacbook
Contributor
Contributor

has this problem ever been reported recently? I note that it has been reported in previous versions of fusion. It is really disabling. Im thinking of trying parallel desktop although I am a big fusion fan.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Like dlhotka I've not seen this here.

First a remark to make sure you are not being bitten by the following. The graphics driver is supplied via VMware Tools. When trying to resolve VMware Tools issues, it is important to note that a repair install rarely works and is very different from a complete uninstall/reboot/install of VMware Tools.

I'm still on Fusion 6.0.3 atm and my display driver for Windows 8.1 x64 is VMware SVGA 3D, version 7.14.1.5026

For testing I opened this page on IE in there and scrolling is smooth.

Is the virtual hardware of your VM upgraded to the latest version? (Menu Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Compatibility) You can only change that while the VM is shut down.

You can try to use software rendering in Internet Explorer under Internet Options > Advanced, first item in the list.

Note that I've got hardware acceleration enabled on the GPU here without issues.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos