VMware Communities
chstueben
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

bootcamp, win7 --> win 10, activation problem with fusion

Hi all,

i have a problem with upgrading Windows 7 to Windws 10 and activation.

I have made a fresh installation of Windows 10 in a bootcamp partition. Tried to boot via bootcamp and fusion. On both boot system setting / system tell me that windows is activated.

Then i made a upgrade to Windows 10 via gwx.

Booting via Bootcamp: windows 10 is activated.

Booting via fusion: windows 10 is NOT activated and requests for another activation.

third boot on bootcamp again: windows is activated again.

This can be repeated endless.

And of course, because it is a gwx update, i dont have a win 10 key.

Asking in then microsoft win 10 forum the microsoft people told me this will be impossible.

Then i had a look at parallels, hoping they have a solution, but for paralles the same problem exists with win 10. It must be either bootcamp or virtual machine activated.

Does vmware have a solution for booting Windows 10 alternating via bootcamp and fusion?

For same older windows server solution i have heard that something like a "dual key activation" should exist. Is this reality or fairy tale?

Thank you!

greetings from germany

Christian Stüben

System is mac pro 2010 5.1, osx 10.11.1, fusion 8.0.1.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tliugogo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Please refer to the latest version release note.  VMware Fusion 8.0.2 Release Notes

This is a know issue for Fusion Boot Camp VM activation on Windows 10.

When you attempt to run Windows 10 Boot Camp partition, a message appears requesting reactivation

When switching between running Windows 10 natively from the Boot Camp partition and running it as a virtual machine, Windows requests reactivation. This issue occurs because Windows detects a significant difference between the actual hardware on your Mac and the hardware presented to a virtual machine.

Workaround: The first time you run a Windows 10 Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine, you need to call Microsoft's automated service to reactivate Windows. Instructions can be found in the Windows Settings app under the Activation tab. Subsequently, you must have an Internet connection to reactivate Windows after switching between native and virtual machine modes.

- Tim

0 Kudos