VMware Communities
TerryBorchers
Contributor
Contributor

XP Pro with SP3 RC2 fails to start-up

Was running XP Pro with SP3 RC1, on external drive off MacBook Pro runnng Leopard. Required to up grade to SP3 RC2 to get Remote Desktop going again. Uninstalled RC1 per instructions. Installed RC2 okay. On restart XP attempts to start-up. About a third of the way through start-up there is a flash of a blue screen message, then goes into a loop and repeats over and over. Is there any kind of a "repair" facility or other way to recover?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

you should be able to recover it like any other version of windows ... the nasty way from Windows CD Rom

you just have to have the disc in the mac, then set the VM to connect to it at start up.

then it should go to the windows recovery console like normal.

do you get the option to safe mode boot? because if you can get there, i might suggest installing vmware tools again if possible before doing to recovery disc option.

TerryBorchers
Contributor
Contributor

On occasion at start-up attempt, I get the 23 second option to select safe mode or last good condition and this was my next question - how do you get the keyboard to respond? The arrow keys won't scroll the selection; I can find any combination of function keys that assist in making a selection. I did try to re-install VM-Ware tools, but that make no difference.

0 Kudos
TerryBorchers
Contributor
Contributor

I'm on the road, hence my delay in replying.

I was unable to restore anything via a Windows XP Pro CD. After finally

getting VMWare to look at the CD as a start-up, and getting to the "repair"

selection on the XP installation, I got a message saying Windows could not

find a hard drive and could not repair and had to close.

So any other tips on resurrecting my VMWare PC would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Terry B.

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 4:43 AM, IamTHEvilONE <

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I'm on the road, hence my delay in replying.

...I got a message saying Windows could not find a hard drive....

Does this VM have a IDE or SCSI virtual hard drive? If SCSI, you need to press F6 during boot from the XP CD so that Setup will prompt for HD controller drivers.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

...I got a message saying Windows could not find a hard drive....

Does this VM have a IDE or SCSI virtual hard drive? If SCSI, you need to press F6 during boot from the XP CD so that Setup will prompt for HD controller drivers.

The SCSI drivers can be found at http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/drivers_tools.html

0 Kudos
TerryBorchers
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you - this is very helpful. I believe VM is looking fo a SCSI virtual

drive. I have been having some problems with getting the function keys to

work properly on the Mac - pressing both the Fnc and F keys does not always

do the trick, Is there something I'm missing here as well?

Kind regards, Terry B.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:15 PM, etung <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

You may have to disable some Mac keyboard shortcuts. For example, F8 is used by Spaces in OSX. I don't know off hand what uses F6 in OSX.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Another thing to try is to uncheck "Enable Mac OS keyboard shortcuts" in Fusion's Preferences.

0 Kudos