VMware Communities
Basiliscus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

XP Applications Hang After Update

I am running an XP virtual machine on a Macbook with Yosemite.  Recently, several updates were auto-installed in XP when I turned on the Macbook.  Now the XP virtual machine will boot and display the desktop, but any application I run just hangs. 

Any suggestions as to how to diagnose the problem?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Oh my bad, register/unregister is the terminology used with the VMware vSphere product,

In Fusion the same thing is called "delete" then you get a popup

"Remove virtual machine" with buttons "Move to Trash", "Cancel", "Keep File".

pastedImage_0.png
Choose "Keep File"

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Basiliscus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ps.   I have Time Machine backup of the VM files, but I've been loathe to restore a pre-update backup because I don't want to risk damaging the VM installation.  How risky is it to restore a VM from backup?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Time machine backups of virtual machines are not reliable, so do not throw away your original before restoring your VM.

You can unregister the VM you have problems with and NOT delete it from disk, then rename it in Finder before trying to restore via TM.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
Basiliscus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I "unregister" a VM?  I see menu items for creating clones, creating snapshots, etc., but not for registering & unregistering VMs.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Oh my bad, register/unregister is the terminology used with the VMware vSphere product,

In Fusion the same thing is called "delete" then you get a popup

"Remove virtual machine" with buttons "Move to Trash", "Cancel", "Keep File".

pastedImage_0.png
Choose "Keep File"

--

Wil

0 Kudos
Basiliscus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your instructions worked after all.  I powered off the XP VM, deleted it, renamed it, and restored from backup.  This time there was no problem in starting up the restored VM, and everything works as it did. 

Naturally, I've turned off automatic updates!

Thanks.

0 Kudos