VMware Communities
RMansfield
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 8 developer build--error on install

I downloaded the Windows 8 developer build released 9/13/11. Upon trying to install it, I get the Windows error message hal_initialization_failed. Does anyone know how to fix this?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
kinless
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't get that with the 9/13 build, but I got this error at the beginning when trying to run. It did show the "Windows Developer Preview" screen before it crashed. (Tried both as a Windows 7 64-bit installation and Other 64-bit OS)

I know we shouldn't expect this build to run on the current version of Fusion, but I've heard reports of it running on other VMWare software so figured I'd give it a shot.

vcpu-0:NOT_IMPLEMENTED vmcore/vmm/intr/apic.c:1903
Please report this problem by selecting menu item Help > VMware on the Web > Request Support, or by going to the Web page "xxxxx". Please provide us with the log file (xxxxx) and the core file(s) (xxxxx, xxxxx).
If the problem is repeatable, please set 'Logging level' to 'Debug' in the 'Misc' panel of Virtual Machine Settings. Then reproduce the incident and file it according to the instructions.
To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Information" from the Help menu.
You can also run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool" directly.
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
We appreciate your feedback,
  -- the VMware Fusion team.
3.33GHz Mac Pro (Mid 2010), 2.9GHz MacBook Pro (Mid 2012), VMWare Fusion 11.5.3
0 Kudos
Michael_Brian_B
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion does not work with a preview of Win 8 just released today, something the folks at VMware may not have seen. I'm shocked. Smiley Happy

Anyway, here's the message I get:

vcpu-0:NOT_IMPLEMENTED vmcore/vmm/intr/apic.c:1903

The message says VMware wants the log file and core files, and they want us to set the logging level to debug and redo, then report the incident. On the whole, however, I expect that they'll be able to repeat this problem right away.

I was trying to get this to work on a four year-old MBP17, note, limited to 3 GB, with Core 2 Duo. I can't run Win 7 on this machine as the bootcamp partition so I figure this wasn't likely to work either, but what the heck.

-Mike

0 Kudos
tejas201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Today I have downloaded Windows 8 developer edition & tried to install Windows 8 on VMware Workstation 7.1, but it fails with below error,
"vcpu-0:NOT_IMPLEMENTED vmcore/vmm/intr/apic.c"  Solution for above error is to wait for VMware Workstation 8 which is going to launch in coming days  or to install Windows 8 under VirtualBox 4.1. If you want to work around Windows 8...
Windows 8 installation under VirtualBox is easy, Check below guide for more details...

http://www.mytricks.in/2011/09/guide-install-windows-8-developer.html

0 Kudos
tejas201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Wait for VMware Workstation 8 final release.

http://www.mytricks.in/2011/09/guide-install-windows-8-developer.html

Cheers!!!

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

tejas wrote:

Wait for VMware Workstation 8 final release.

It was released last night.  GA version is available now.

0 Kudos
agreenbhm
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to get it to work on Workstation 8.  I originally created it with Workstation 7, and while creating the VM selected the ISO, to which Workstation claimed it couldn't detect what OS it was.  So on the next screen I manually selected the OS as Windows 7 x64.  I received the error message stated in previous posts.  I then upgraded to Workstation 8, upgraded the virtual hardware of the VM, then tried again.  Now I was receiving the error about not being able to read the Product Key from the unattend file.

I then deleted the VM and recreated it natively with Workstation 8, using v8 hardware, and selecting to install the OS later.  I then again selected Windows 7 x64 as my OS.  It seemed to work after that.

I think by selecting to have Workstation install the OS (and selecting it as Windows 7) it's trying to load up an unattend.xml that is incompatible, which is causing the error message.  Bypassing that auto-install should resolve the problem.

0 Kudos
agreenbhm
Contributor
Contributor

And just for proof...windows8devpreview_vmwareworkstation8.jpg

0 Kudos
RMansfield
Contributor
Contributor

Just downloaded Fusion 4 for Mac. This time, I'm not getting the error message. I'm in the process of installing Windows 8 now. So far, so good.

0 Kudos
matojo2006
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same problem with Windows 8 installation on Microsoft Virtual PC and VMWare Player. Both did not work and threw different errors on 32-bit and 64-bit installations.

However, it works great with VMWare Workstation 8. I just downloaded and installed Windows 8 on VMWare Workstation 8. Follow the step by step instructions to install Windows 8 on VMWare Workstation.

0 Kudos
tejas201110141
Contributor
Contributor

For Windows 8 Developer Preview & Windows Server Developer Preview on VirtualBox follow below Guides, Windows Server Developer preview is giving same issue, currently only VirtualBox is the solution.. Wait for official release of VMware Workstation8..
0 Kudos
RMansfield
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 4 allowed me to completely install the Windows 8 developer preview.

However, none of the Metro elements (weather, stocks, etc.) work. I can click on them and the edge of the squre bends but nothing launches. I can launch the regular Windows desktop, but not these other features new to Windows 8. I don't know if that's inherent to this early build or if it's a limitation in VMWare Fusion.

Anyone have any insight?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

tejas wrote:

For Windows 8 Developer Preview & Windows Server Developer Preview on VirtualBox follow below Guides, Windows Server Developer preview is giving same issue, currently only VirtualBox is the solution.. Wait for official release of VMware Workstation8..

Tejas, please read...   Workstation 8 was officially released last night!!  It works, as does Fusion 4 and Player 4.  Just don't select Easy Install - select "I will install the OS later".

0 Kudos
jo_strasser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RMansfield schrieb:

Fusion 4 allowed me to completely install the Windows 8 developer preview.

However, none of the Metro elements (weather, stocks, etc.) work. I can click on them and the edge of the squre bends but nothing launches. I can launch the regular Windows desktop, but not these other features new to Windows 8. I don't know if that's inherent to this early build or if it's a limitation in VMWare Fusion.

Anyone have any insight?

give me some time, I will check this on my MacBook Pro...

thanks, Jo!

Johannes Strasser / SDDC Architect @ Porsche Informatik GmbH
Twitter: @jo_strasser
0 Kudos
tejas201110141
Contributor
Contributor

RDPetruska, I will try it on Vmware Workstation 8 tommorow morning my time.. Thanks

0 Kudos
svaradha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey! I made a step-by-step guide on how to get Windows 8 up and running in Fusion 4. For all of those who is new to this can have a look at my blog:

http://www.satheesh.net/2011/09/14/how-to-install-windows-8-on-vmware-fusion/

Startup.png

installwindows.png

Good luck! Smiley Happy

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. :) Regards, -Satheesh-
0 Kudos
RMansfield
Contributor
Contributor

That was a good reminder to install VMWare Tools. Now my metro apps work.

0 Kudos
HarryF43
Contributor
Contributor

Pretty surprised to read all of this.  I just installed the Win 8 developer preview with no incident.  It runs.  I've downloaded Safari and Chrome and they run.  I can use the 'tiled' interface.

Have not had any of the issues mentioned here.  It was surprising to read them.

0 Kudos
pfuhli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did anyone get it working on ESXi 4.1 ?

I'm stuck in the first boot process:

Loading files...

Windows Developer Preview

...and then the VM is being powered off and powered on again with some magical automatism and it starts again loading files 😕

0 Kudos
jedimstr
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to install it successfully with VMWare Tools on a Mac Mini with 1.83Ghz Core2Duo and 3GB RAM but on a Mac Pro (2006) with dual 3Ghz Xeon,16GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5770 it hung trying to install the VMWare Tools/drivers while trying to delete the backup files.  Left it for over an hour, but ended up forcing a shutdown/restart.

Now everytime I startup the VM on the Mac Pro it hangs and I get an error about the 3D hardware not synched with the current App and wants me to turn off 3D.  No go after that.

I've resinstalled a fresh VM 3 times with various options with 3D and memory settings, but similar results.

Anyone successfully install using a Mac Pro and Fusion 4.01?

0 Kudos