VMware Communities
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Windows 7 VM HiDPI question...

In a Windows 7 Fusion VM, the default scaled HiDPI (Retina) resolution is only at 150% (which makes the interface too small), instead of 200% (as it should be ideally); yes, you can manually set a custom scaling of 200% inside Windows 7 and disable the automatic resolution adjustment in the VM settings: this indeed works, but strangely also disables the mouse integration between OS X and the VM, which of course is far from ideal...

Is all this unavoidable? Can't the VMware Tools be updated in order to provide default 200% scaling also for Windows 7 guests?

(IIRC, Parallels Desktop doesn't have this problem.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The workaround described here, applied to Fusion, solved the problem:

Mouse trapped in Win7 guest with display > 150%

... even if of course it would have been better if the VMware Tools had been updated in the meantime to account for this glitch.

However, the transition of the mouse cursor between the the guest and the host isn't as smooth as with Windows 8.1 or 10: but the important thing is of course that it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The workaround described here, applied to Fusion, solved the problem:

Mouse trapped in Win7 guest with display > 150%

... even if of course it would have been better if the VMware Tools had been updated in the meantime to account for this glitch.

However, the transition of the mouse cursor between the the guest and the host isn't as smooth as with Windows 8.1 or 10: but the important thing is of course that it works.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

BTW, there was one little additional glitch: after disabling the mouse game optimization in the Fusion Preferences and thus solve the Windows 7 guest mouse problem, then I had to reapply the 200% scaling in my Windows 8.1 guest, after updating its Tools (while this wasn't necessary for my Windows 10 guest): strange, but after that fortunately it worked normally...

0 Kudos