VMware Communities
keithernet
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 Beta (7000)

Hi there. Has anyone been able to get the Windows 7 Beta (7000) running in Fusion?

I was able to install it, but on the first boot, it stalls on the loading screen. I also tried it in Parallels and ran into the same problem. Parallels reports that they have an update coming "soon" that will fix the issue.

Is the VMware Fusion team working on this too?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
77 Replies
RealaT
Contributor
Contributor

I've managed to get it installed and seems to be working ok. Only thing i've noticed is that trying to load Solitaire completely locks up the system

0 Kudos
schimanski
Contributor
Contributor

Same for me, Solitaire is hanging the system. As well if I leave W7 in other window for a while it hangs up.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We plan on supporting Windows 7 when it is released. We have people internally looking at Windows 7 already, though I don't know which builds we are using.

From what I understand, when installing Windows 7, it is best to select the Windows Server 2008 setting when creating the virtual machine.

There are no plans to issue updates just to support Windows 7 pre-release builds, but we do plan on supporting Windows 7 when it is released in a timely manner as we do for major OS releases.

Pat Lee

VMware

0 Kudos
bmunche
Contributor
Contributor

Disable Accelerate 3D graphics in the Vmware graphics settings panel.

Also, using Windows server 2008 setting seems to work with a good install of Vmware tools including audio support.

First impression is that it seems faster than Vista.

0 Kudos
solgae
Contributor
Contributor

Second that, except I used Windows Vista when setting the OS type. VMware Tools installed without problems. Haven't tried 3D enabled.

0 Kudos
diamondsw
Contributor
Contributor

Also installed fine here. I used Vista as my install type, and VMware Tools installed just fine.

Only problems I've noticed are that once the VMware tools are installed the Windows Experience Assessment tool never completes (it hangs on Windows Media tuning), and the VM goes completely nuts during boot, seemingly cycling through every possible video resolution, but it eventually settles down on the correct one.

And of course, Aero Glass doesn't work despite 3D support in VMware... Someday I'd really like to see that work.

Oops, screensaver crashed when running "Windows Energy". So far, seems like most problems have to do with the graphics systems.

0 Kudos
Rehmondo83
Contributor
Contributor

I got Windows 7 (Build 7000) installed without any issues at all, no hang ups etc.

I selected Windows Vista as the OS in the settings gave it 2 virtual cpus and 2GB's of RAM, it works really fast unlike my Vista VM.

I'll play about with the graphics later on tonight and see if I have some issues.

Any ideas if or when we will see Aero in Vista working?

0 Kudos
Rehmondo83
Contributor
Contributor

OK, no issues with gadgets or anything either, was able to run the screensavers without issues, but I ran Solitaire and it hanged and worse I think my VM is now messed up, I couldn't Shut Down or Restart so I suspended the session - it won't fire back up now Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

OK, no issues with gadgets or anything either, was able to run the screensavers without issues, but I ran Solitaire and it hanged and worse I think my VM is now messed up, I couldn't Shut Down or Restart so I suspended the session - it won't fire back up now Smiley Sad

One of the following should work for you...

With the Virtual Machine running, even if stuck suspending/unsuspending, press the Option key and select Power Off from the Virtual Machine menu.

If that doesn't work then with the Virtual Machine shutdown and Fusion closed, open the Virtual Machine Package and delete the .vmss file. Have a look at the first section of if you need help locating the Virtual Machine or look at .

Note: Either of these methods will cause anything not already saved to disk to be lost however you have no other choice if the normal process cannot complete.

0 Kudos
JeffTalbert
Contributor
Contributor

I installed it via bootcamp and then linked it to fusion 2.0. When I am running W7 via bootcamp everything is fine. But once I log in via Fusion it cannot rreconize my ethernet adapter, or any network drivers/adapters. Anyone else encounter this?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look in the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file and make sure that the Network Adapter is showing as "e1000" as in the following example.

ethernet0.virtualDEV = "e1000"

0 Kudos
JeffTalbert
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you that worked. I was missing that line in my config file. Once I added it, Windows 7 works great in Fusion.

Thanks again. I was installing and reinstalling Apple bootcamp software to no avail Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Haravikk
Contributor
Contributor

Why do so many people seem to be installing this only to play Solitaire? =P

I got it installed fine (build 7000) using the Vista install settings; is basically just Vista but without hogging so many resources, otherwise it's still a pretty pointless update to Windows. I suppose it's a better contender for replacing XP now, especially on laptops, though it still won't run some programs without various hacks.

0 Kudos
msuper69
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the .vmx configuration file?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Where is the .vmx configuration file?

Inside the Virtual Machine's Package.

0 Kudos
msuper69
Contributor
Contributor

Found it while I was awaiting a response. (I didn't dig far enough before posting).

Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
imac911
Contributor
Contributor

Is it best to install the 32 bit or 64 bit versions of Windows???

What about in boot camp? Is both 32 & 64 versions of Windows normally supported?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is it best to install the 32 bit or 64 bit versions of Windows???

What about in boot camp? Is both 32 & 64 versions of Windows normally supported?

Since you posted the questions in a thread specific to Windows 7 Beta the answer is Windows 7 Beta is not supported in either Fusion or Boot Camp. As to other OSes have a look at Supported Guest Operating Systems.

Note :Not being supported doesn't mean that you can't try to install and use however depending on what Unsupported OS you're trying to install you may not have access to all features mainly if VMware Tools doesn't install properly.

0 Kudos
danielc0
Contributor
Contributor

Nope.I can installed Windows 7 on VM but can't get it run after installed VMware Tools. It keeps resizing itself and hang eventually. ScreenShot provied.

Btw i am running mac OS X 10.5.6 and my grapphic card is Intel GMA X3100 (Onboard). I disabled 3D Acceleration.

I have to use system retore to revert it in order to boot it up again.

0 Kudos