VMware Communities
Rob_Ha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 - Slow response, Unusable in unity mode

I have been testing Windows 10 for some time and we may be converting to it.

Windows 10 seems to work well if it is installed directly but if it is virtualized using Fusion the graphical interface responds poorly.

It seem the more you disable the better it performs but, unfortunately once you remove all the graphics, Live Tiles, Cortana, indexing and Web Searching it lost its advantage over Windows 7 and is still only almost as fast as Windows 7.

In Unity mode the menu bar is sluggish and hangs.  If you hit the start button 2 applications show in the Mac tool bar Cortana Search and Windows Shell Experience.  I have turned off Cortana but it still pops up.  I even turned off the Genie effect and Reduced Transparency to reduce graphics load. 

System info...

Windows 7 VM

1 Proc

2 Gig Ram

No issues

Windows 10

2 Proc

3 Gig Ram

Turned off all graphics including Retina Display

at lest 2 times slower running alone.

Mac

OS X 10.11.5

Fusion 8.1.1

Macbook Air 1.7Ghz - i7 8 gig ram     

I remember the same issue with Windows 8, 8.1 when I was on an older version of Fusion.

I hate to say I am thinking test drive parallels.

Any Ideas? maybe the next release of Fusion?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmxmr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I wonder whether the problem is that you have assigned two cores to your Windows 10 virtual machine. I assume that the Core i7 in your MacBook Air has only two "real" cores.

Shutdown your Windows 10 virtual machine, take a snapshot, and then try adjusting the number of cores in the Windows 10 virtual machine from 2 to 1. See if that helps. It may not help, but it is worth a try.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to Fusion forum! Even if you turn off Cortana, it is still in task manager when you click it or start icon. It's not an issue of Unity, and thanks for using Fusion.

0 Kudos
Rob_Ha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Cortana application that starts with the tool bar is SearchUI.exe  (Search and Cortana application) 

This is not a service that can be disabled and it starts and stops every time you click the start menu. 

After all the tweaks I did to Windows 10 to disable animation and graphics, it works ok in Full Screen or in a Window, but Unity mode really seems to have issues with the new windows start menu and overall screen refreshing. 

I have a second mac user testing and he seems to have the same issues. He has a Macbook Pro (it has a better graphic's card then mine) both are up to date with software patching, Windows Apple and Vmware. The VM's that were created are fresh windows 10 64 bit installs. (not upgraded windows 7 or Virtualized physical computers)

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I wonder whether the problem is that you have assigned two cores to your Windows 10 virtual machine. I assume that the Core i7 in your MacBook Air has only two "real" cores.

Shutdown your Windows 10 virtual machine, take a snapshot, and then try adjusting the number of cores in the Windows 10 virtual machine from 2 to 1. See if that helps. It may not help, but it is worth a try.

Rob_Ha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That made a big improvement.

0 Kudos
bharat_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I was facing windows 10 slow performance issue on Fusion... I disabled mirrored folders in sharing (under setting) and it seems to have improved the performance and responsiveness dramatically.... Keeping this under observation for a few days....@ !

0 Kudos