VMware Communities
carrpin3436
Contributor
Contributor

What actually gets backed up

If I back up VMF, does that back up a copy of XP plus whatever Apps are in XP plus all the data files so that the are fully restorable?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gbullman
Expert
Expert

Note that VMware Fusion is an application like Text Edit, Word, etc. which opens and runs Virtual Machines (package with .vmwarevm extension if machine created in Fusion). So backing up the VMware Fusion application will not back up your virtual machine data. To back up your windows applications and data you will need to back up the .vmwarevm package that you are running with Fusion.

I would suggest reading for information on where to find your virtual machine (which is what you want to back up to protect your data within the VM). It is also a good idea to read to get a sense of the type of information to share to get the most help.

0 Kudos
WilliamReid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

For clarification there's the application, which you shouldn't care to backup and there's also a "bundle" created for each guest VM installation.

If you wish you can backup the entire VM bundle, and yes if you take a complete backup of the bundle it will include Windows any installed applications and data you may have created there. It's best to ensure the guest is shutdown before doing so to make certain you get all the data. Note that this type of backup can be fairly large as your backing up everything pertaining to that guest install.

Otherwise if you are after just backing up any data you may have stored within the VM, there's several methods of getting this done... Burning a disk within the VM, backing up via USB key, ftping files out, shared folders, etc etc... which ever method suits you best.

0 Kudos
carrpin3436
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks William and gbullman.

What I want to do is back up the data from two Applications which, If I understand correctly will be in .vmwarevm and will also include Xp... I dont really need to back up Xp except maybe once and the have incremental back ups. I think this may require a more sophisticated back up app than Lacie's own.

I have another issue I cant find .vmwarevm anywhere within XP so I am assuming that it is in the Mac side somewhere but I cant find it there either.

Ive looked at the suggested reading and there is nothing that is clear to me related to backups . I am not a novice but some of the terminology is new to me..

I am under the pump with this because I am operating a business that has trust accounts and I need to have secure local back ups and offsite backup that are incremental so I can go back one day and have only 1 days transactions to re enter in the event of a failure

Appreciate any help or advice.

john

0 Kudos