VMware Communities
autigers1970
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual disk size incorrect

I'm running Fusion 6 on El Captain on my Mac.

I need to expand the virtual disk size to give space for the Windows 10 anniversary update.  According to my finder, my Windows VM is about 32GB.  In Windows 10 on that VM, it says the C: Drive is 46.8GB with about 29 used and 17GB free.  So I shut down the VM so I can expand that disk as the Win10 update says it needs at least 20GB free.  But when I go to the Virtual Machine Library, select that VM, Settings, Hard Disk, it shows the .vmdk file (converted from Boot Camp a while back) and says it's 465.76G.

This makes no sense to me.  It's like it's off by a factor of 10.  But then I thought that maybe it's just an error and I needed to account for that factor of 10.  So to make the disk, say 51GB in reality, I need to enter 510G on this to expand to.  But when I do that, as it's expanding, the Finder shows way more than 5GB being taken away from my free space on my Mac's hard disk.  It had gotten up to almost 20GB and wasn't done when I cancelled the process.

What is going on here?  And how can I fix it?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
autigers1970
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, here goes.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

from the log file:

.../Boot Camp.vmdk' (0x1a): monolithicSparse, 976773168 sectors / 465.8 GB.

The virtual disk's provisioned size is indeed 465.8 GB. It looks like that the conversion created the disk with this provisioned size, but the Windows partition itself is smaller. So if you need more disk space for the guest OS (Windows 10) you should be able to simply increase the partition size from within the guest OS itself (Disk Manager).

Increasing the virtual disk's size with the current "monolithicSparse" format creates a new .vmdk file, then copies the whole existing data to the new file, and finally deletes the old file. Thus the amount of free disk space required for this equals about the size of the current .vmdk file.

André

0 Kudos
autigers1970
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to do that but it won't let me.  I've attached a screen cap of the Disk Management view.  It only has 449MB unallocated.  I can't shrink the part that has 416GB, only delete it.  What can I do here?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not really familiar with MAC OS. However, what I think that should work - without modifying the existing files - is to use VMware Converter, and convert the VM again. This time enable the advanced disk setting, and select only the Windows partition. You may also select "LSI Logic SAS" as the target virtual disk controller (it's currently IDE).

To be able to increase the virtual disk size again in the future - without the need to clone the complete .vmdk file which requires time, and disk space - select the 2GB Sparse File format for the virtual disk. This will split the virtual disk into several .vmdk files, and icreasing the virtual disk will just be a matter of adding additional .vmdk files.

André

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hey André,

Correct.

When a Fusion user imports the bootcamp partition into a VM, the VM will retain the original physical disk partition layout.

The big difference with the physical counterpart being that the OS X partition is empty.

When a user wants to grow his virtual disk he bumps problems due to strange partition layout.

Windows doesn't let him use the OS X partition part because bootcamp positions the Windows partition at the end of the disk.

There's a few ways to resolve that, but I'd say that the suggestion you offered to use VMware converter to clone the VM to a new VM with a more sane partition layout is the easiest way out.

edit: for the record, "importing a bootcamp partition" is a standard option within VMware Fusion, no need to run VMware Converter for that.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
autigers1970
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't see VMWare Converter anywhere within Fusion and the only download I can seem to find is for Windows.  Is there a version for Mac?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

In another universe, long long time ago, there was indeed a converter for Mac.. but that's not of any help now.

The one for windows is what you need.

You install it within your guest that you want to migrate.

Download from here:

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter

You need an external usb disk to save the new VM on (at least for temporary storage), connect the USB disk to your guest (not OS X)

During install choose for local install (not the client/server option)

Then run VMware Converter and these are your steps:

First select what you want to migrate (local machine)

pastedImage_1.png

Select Next and in the next screen select your destination (the USB disk) in my example screenshot the USB disk is drive E:\

pastedImage_2.png

Select Next

pastedImage_3.png

Here you select Edit under "Data to Copy"

pastedImage_4.png

This is where you can adjust the Destination Layout (different tab as what I'm showing in the screenshot) and what Volumes to copy. My VM here is not a bootcamp one so can't exactly show you what to change, but this is what Andre was referring to.

Adjust for what you need and click next.

pastedImage_5.png

Then click "Finish". My example screenshots here where with a small USB stick (only 32GB) which is why the warning at the top.

But those are roughly the steps.

Alternatively there's also a "migrate your PC" option in the Fusion menu, but that works with a very old version of Converter and when I just tried it down here, it did not even work, so I would not spent time on that if I was you.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
autigers1970
Contributor
Contributor

It all seemed to be going fine until the end.  I get an error:  "A general system error has occurred: unknown internal error."

0 Kudos
autigers1970
Contributor
Contributor

Would it have something to do with the settings on the attached panel?  I unchecked the box next to the 418GB part of the disk.  Am I supposed to leave that alone?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Thanks for the screenshot.

The error "Unknown error" is a typical one, not very helpful.

You are correct in unchecking that big partition, in your case I would also uncheck the other partition that has a "?" symbol in the image as it also should not be needed for your VM.

That's what I would try and then run it again.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
autigers1970
Contributor
Contributor

Well, that didn't work either. 

I exported the diagnostic logs if that will help.  See attached.

And thank you guys for helping me dig into this.  Very appreciated.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I had a look at the log, but it is not telling me much.

Unfortunately faulty conversions when using VMware Converter is not an area of my expertise and my suggestion is to repost the problem of running the conversion in the following forum as there's more knowledgeable people on converter issues able to help out:

VMware Converter Standalone

You can of course post a link to your post there, but my suggestion is to summarize your migration issue in one post and have the previous attachment down there as well.

--

Wil

0 Kudos