VMware Communities
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine inside a Virtual Machine?

Can I run an XP Virtual Machine inside my Vista Virtual Machine? I don't think I can run two as guest on the mac at the same time, but what about nesting them, so XP is inside Vista running as a guest on Mac. A guest within a Guest. Is this possible? I am wondering if this would help reduce the impact on the Mac (compared to running two guests within the host directly).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe you will not be able to install any Virtual application inside the Virtual Machine.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Technically it's doable however it will degrade the performance of both Virtual Machine's, You would have to edit the .vmx file of the Guest that is going to host the VMware product you install to run a Guest inside a Guest. You will also not have VMware Tools functionality in the Guest that's hosting the 2nd Guest.

The parameter that has to be added has been posted before so if you're really interested a search should find it. There is a different one for Fusion 1.x vs 2.x.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You're almost certainly much better off running multiple virtual machines in the host rather than trying to nest them. While there are some valid use cases for nested virtual machines, performance isn't one of them - in fact, it's a very good argument against doing so.

0 Kudos