VMware Communities
matthewj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Video is blurry since 11.5 update

Either my eyesight just changed, or the video quality in my Windows VMs got blurry. I am viewing them on a 5k display, with the client OS at 2560 x 1440, without full resolution. Acceleration makes no difference.

It seems that something is probably anti-aliasing or something like that, but given I used to like how sharp it was, something has changed. If anyone knows what that might be, I'd welcome getting the nice sharp display back. Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Joachim_Neudert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Finally! The Bugfix Fusion 11.5.1 is released. I instantly installed it and it works, the display is clear and sharp again. Thank you, VMWare. But it is hard to figure out why nobody noticed this before the introduction of Fusion 11.5

View solution in original post

36 Replies
chowyuncat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This also occurs for Linux guest VMs both with a desktop GUI and at a server console.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I've noticed this as well...have you tried a forced reinstall of tools?  That's next on my list to try.

0 Kudos
matthewj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The tools auto-updated, but it was blurry both before and after that.

0 Kudos
athurdent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here, Windows 10 is blurry now.

MacBook Pro 2018, Optimize for Built-in Retina set in macOS.

Did not notice it until now, because I am usually working with a monitor attached.

I repaired the VMware tools, no luck.

0 Kudos
NikonMike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem with my Win7 and Ubuntu 19.04 VMs on 2018 13" MBP and latest macOS 10.14.6.

This seems to affect default HiDPI display only, when I move the VM window to external standard display, rendering is sharp as before.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Blurry without the 'use full resolution' as well.

Question for everyone in this thread - do you have the host OSX display preference set to 'use best resolution for display' or scaled?  Mine's set to scaled and the one with the most resolution (far right).

0 Kudos
mac_pro_user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I find it difficult to believe that the "QC" folks would allow this version to be released with this issue!

Unusable!  Not even for a few minutes!

NikonMike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the "Default for Display". That choice seems to be arbitrary though, I believe the panel resolution of my 2015 and 2018 MBP was identical, however the later model pushed the default to higher res.

0 Kudos
hkang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Appreciate all for reporting this issue. A VMware internal bug has been reported and Fusion team is actively working on the fix.

Joachim_Neudert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you. I can confirm  the same problem on my MacBook Pro 15" from 2012. Since  I installed VMWare Fusion 11.5 today (before 11.1) the Windows 10 Screen became blurry, like some kind of antialising display. MacBook in standard resolution, Windows 10 in the VMWare recommended standard resolution, and Windows 10 Desktop in 1440*900, which perfectly  fits the hardware resolution of 2880*1800 Pixel of my McBook, normally. 

I hope you can correct this issue soon, my eyes are watery whenever I try to focus on the screen...

Thank you, greetinx from Bavaria

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update - please prioritize this one if you can.....it's extremely disconcerting Smiley Happy

olivierha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here (on a 2013 Macbook Pro with a Windows 7 VM) - my eyes hurt.

1ceberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue on 2018 MBP 15 when connected to external monitor.   Noticed issue on external monitor after upgrading.  Full resolution for Retina Display is unchecked.  Tried turning on/off Accelerate for 3D graphics to no effect.

UPDATE:

I have a Dell U3415W at work and the issue doesn't present on that monitor.  On my LG 43UD79-B, I do notice the issue.  One difference was that the Dell is set to "Default for display" in settings.  For the LG, however, OSX (10.14.6) seems to have it as scaled in order to use the native 3840x2160 resolution (it seems to think making it the retina equivalent is default for the display).  BUT, by switching temporarily to default for display and then switching back to scaled 3840x2160, it clears the blur for the whole session (until I unplug to go to work and come back). 

Tech support, hope that helps you troubleshoot.

bolaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi.

The same for me 😞

My colleague uses Paralles and he  recommed it strongly when hearing about VMware Fusions issues. I'll wait for a fix till Friday, if one will not be released I'm going to switch to Parallels.

HabibAz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same for me 😞

HabibAz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm wondering that there is no comment from vmware for this issue... :smileyangry:

Reinstall of vmware tools didn't helped me... but with this resolution I can't work... what should I do now?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Reply 9. from user hkang is vmware's confirmation and that they are working on a fix.

Hopefully that fix arrives soon..

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Joachim_Neudert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still waiting for a fix since one week. I really think about switching to Parallels. Please, VMWare, take an urgent look at this annoying problem, it makes working in a VMWare fusion session very disturbing.

Kind regards.

bolaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue was reported on 23 Sep 2019, so 2 weeks ago.

VMware, are you going to fix the bug this week?

0 Kudos