VMware Communities
MarkandLeo
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools won't install on Windows Vista and later

I'm doing a thing where I'm upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows 10 through Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1.

When I got to Windows Vista, it needed VMware Tools to be reinstalled. However, when I try reinstalling, it says the software needs to be installed on Windows 2000, XP or Server 2003. I tried deleting all the files and registry entries I could find for the previous VMware Tools installation, but that didn't help. I tried upgrading to Windows 7 but it still had the same problem.

I was using the VMware Tools installer for Windows Vista and later, and it still threw the error, so what's causing the problem? I'd like an answer as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Sounds like you may have upgraded the VM.  Make sure the OS version in the VM preferences is set to the proper operating system.

0 Kudos
MarkandLeo
Contributor
Contributor

Pretty sure I already did that.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VMware Fusion does no longer carry the VMware Tools for MS Vista.

You'll have to download a slightly older version instead.

See this post for VMware Workstation:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Problems-vmware-tools-16-1-in-Windows-Vista...

PS: Workstation and Fusion use the same VMware Tools, you won't have a problem using that download link, VMware Tools over the whole product line (including vSphere) is one product.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
OldPC
Contributor
Contributor

For me it doesn't work even with compatible version of VMware tools.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

First, my condolences for using Vista.

Second, what exactly are you seeing when you try to install it?  Also, what's the host and guest hardware?

0 Kudos