VMware Communities
Vendel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Tools issue

Hello,

I have this annoying issue with my VMWare Tools for a new-installed Windows Server 2012 R2 that I'm going to use.

When I try to select Virtual Machine -> 'Install VMWare Tools', I get this message: "VMWare Tools is not available for this guest."

I'v maked sure that the OS under 'Settings' -> 'General' = Windows Server 2012

I'v used the 180 free trail of Microsofts Windows Server 2012 R2, directly downloaded from their website.

I seem to need the tools, to be able to use the 'Drag & Drop' + 'Copy / Paste' function between my host and guest OS. Even though the functions are enabled under 'Isolation', the function doesn't work so far.

Searing for this has so far not helped me.

I'm running VMWare Fusion 7 Pro, on a MacBook Pro, Late 2013

There seem to be no issue installing VMWare Tools on my Windows 8.1 guest OS.

Looking forward to hear from you.

/Jonas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2012 R2 is an officially supported Guest OS so that's strange you're getting that message.  Without seeing the logs there no sense in hypothesizing.

Assuming the VMware Tools Windows ISO Image is actually installed in the VMware Fusion 7 application as it should be, since the .dmg installer image is a Full Installation Package, have you tried just manually assigning the windows.iso file to the CD/DVD and go from there?  The VMware Tools Windows ISO Image for Windows is windows.iso and should be located at: "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages/windows.iso"

Note:  You may have to make a copy of the windows.iso to e.g. the Desktop in order to assign it to the CD/DVD in the Virtual Machine's Settings.  In a Terminal use the following command.

cp /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages/windows.iso ~/Desktop

Hint: Copy and paste above command into the Terminal window and press Enter.  Then delete the copy when finished.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2012 R2 is an officially supported Guest OS so that's strange you're getting that message.  Without seeing the logs there no sense in hypothesizing.

Assuming the VMware Tools Windows ISO Image is actually installed in the VMware Fusion 7 application as it should be, since the .dmg installer image is a Full Installation Package, have you tried just manually assigning the windows.iso file to the CD/DVD and go from there?  The VMware Tools Windows ISO Image for Windows is windows.iso and should be located at: "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages/windows.iso"

Note:  You may have to make a copy of the windows.iso to e.g. the Desktop in order to assign it to the CD/DVD in the Virtual Machine's Settings.  In a Terminal use the following command.

cp /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages/windows.iso ~/Desktop

Hint: Copy and paste above command into the Terminal window and press Enter.  Then delete the copy when finished.

0 Kudos
Vendel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much Woodzy, your workaround help.

After copying the Windows.ISO to my desktop, and mouting it in my VM, the VMWare Tool was able to be installed. The drag & drop + copy/paste function is now available!

I did not understand either why the normal installation way didn't seem to work. I did try to re-install my VMWare Fusion 7 Pro before the workaround, but that did not solve it either.

Again thanks a lot for the quick respond and a working solution.

0 Kudos