VMware Communities
dan28088
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Fusion instance of Mojave can't use 12TB SoftRAID external drive on the Ventura system.

To utilize Adobe Illustrator, I have been maintaining a legacy version of Mojave that I use as a virtual system.   Prior to the update to Ventura, I had no problem seeing and accessing the folders on my 12TB SoftRAID external drive - I would click on Network, select my workstation, and then see and access my drive and folders.

But now with Ventura, when I select the workstation (an iMac Pro), I don't see the SoftRAID drive. 

The mainboard of the iMac Pro was just replaced, so I am having to reset many things.   On the Ventura side, I have been in System Settings to re-share the entire SoftRaid drive as well as specific folders on it.  I also deleted and then re-added the shares in the Share options Settings for the VMWare instance of Mojave.

When in the Mojave virtual system I open Finder, click on Network and then choose the workstation.  I then see my shared folders - but if I click to select on the 12TB drive or any shared folder for which I provided a shortcut, I get an immediate error that the "the operation can't be completed because the original item for "(the shared folder)" can't be found.  

The only folder that I can access is my main user folder on the Ventura system.

The system has been so stable and unchanged for so long that I am not sure what I am missing and whether it is on the VMware side or the Ventura side.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I then used the new Ventura Systems Settings / Sharing / File Sharing (ON) to re-specify my shared folders on the Ventura system, including the 12TB SoftRAID.

I then launched VMWaare and opened the settings for the Virtual Machine - I then removed and re-added the shared folders.

This is wrong.

You do not specify anything in Fusion if you are configuring File Sharing in Ventura's system settings. In the VM's settings, remove the folders configured in Fusion's folder sharing and disable Fusion's folder sharing.

Conversely, if you are using Fusion's folder sharing, remove the folders from the Ventura file sharing system setting, and disable file sharing in Ventura as we test.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I assume from reading your description that this is all macOS network file sharing, not Fusion folder sharing.

I'm a bit unsure of what events took place in what order. You say there was a system board replacement as well as a Ventura update. Can you put the events in the order in which they occurred? Did the system board get replaced before or after the Ventura upgrade. Did the setup work on Ventura before the system board replacement?

You should not have to set anything in the shared folder settings in Fusion itself or the Mojave VM system preferences for file sharing. You're sharing folders from the host over the network. The VM is just the consumer of the share and needs no settings. 

This sounds more like a macOS file sharing configuration issue than a Fusion issue because it appears the file sharing is working properly when you connect to your home folder. 

In the Ventura Sharing settings for File Sharing, are all the Shared Folders that you want viewed, and when you select each folder, do you have the Ventura user you're going to connect with listed with the proper privileges?

In the Mojave VM, try double clicking on the Ventura Mac from "Network"? That will show the available shares. Then click "Disconnect", then "Connect as". Choose the username you're going to use to connect to the Ventura Mac, and retype the password of that user. See if that changes anything (if it doesn't it seems to me to point to the configuration on Ventura as being the problem).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
dan28088
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there, and thanks for your reply.

Yes this is a virtual MacOS system (Mojave) accessing files from the physical workstation providing the VMFusion environment - the physical system being Ventura.

I upgraded the workstation Ventura on its release date - October 24, 2022.   I just confirmed that I did indeed use the Mojave virtual environment on November 4th, 2022.  That use involved Adobe Illustrator and access of the 12TB SoftRAID drive.  No issues that I recall.

I had discovered an issue with the USB-C ports on the iMac supporting Ventura and the VMFusion environment and contacted Apple for repair a few weeks ago, and Apple called to tell me the replacement mainboard was in.   I took it in on November 16th and got it back on Saturday the 19th.  

As it was a mainboard replacement, the system was reinstalled from a Time Machine backup made on Wednesday the 16th just before it went to Apple.  

I launched VMWare and had to go through the notices about granting full access, and I did - I do not remember having those notices with the last update to Ventura.

I then restarted VMWare, launched my virtual Mojave system and then brought up Illustrator - and discovered I could not see the folders intended to be shared.

I exited Mojave and shut down VMWare Fusion.  I then used the new Ventura Systems Settings / Sharing / File Sharing (ON) to re-specify my shared folders on the Ventura system, including the 12TB SoftRAID.

I then launched VMWaare and opened the settings for the Virtual Machine - I then removed and re-added the shared folders.

I then launched it, clicked on Finder, and then Network - The Ventura system is Roadrunner and it shows as expected - clicked on it and could see all of the shared folders.  The only one that it can open is the main user folder on the iMac Pro supporting Ventura.  

Note, although I can see folders for Documents and Downloads that are also on the iMac Pro, I get the same can't find error if I click on them.

I have also power cycled the Ventura system - full power down, wait, power up.  But issue persists.

Not sure what else to try, thus my posting here.

Appreciate the thoughtgs

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I then used the new Ventura Systems Settings / Sharing / File Sharing (ON) to re-specify my shared folders on the Ventura system, including the 12TB SoftRAID.

This is wrong.

You do not specify anything in Fusion if you are configuring File Sharing in Ventura's system settings. In the VM's settings, remove the folders configured in Fusion's folder sharing and disable Fusion's folder sharing.

Conversely, if you are using Fusion's folder sharing, remove the folders from the Ventura file sharing system setting, and disable file sharing in Ventura as we test.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As a test, I just fired up a Mojave virtual machine running on Intel Mac mini 2014 with the 22H2 Tech Preview. It's configured with a bridged network connection and successfully connected to file shares that I configured using macOS file sharing on my Mac mini M1 running Ventura. I have multiple shared folders on Ventura, and the Mojave VM is able to look at all of them without an issue. Nothing in the VM is specific to the Tech Preview - it's straight macOS file sharing over the network.

Again, double check how you have your macOS file sharing configured. 

It might help if you post screen shots of:

• The Ventura system settings file sharing configuration screen.
  • The Mojave finder window, after clicking on the hostname of your Ventura Mac in the side bar. 
  • The Mojave Finder window, after you click on one of the shares present in the prior window.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
dan28088
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the comments.

Removing the Shares in the VMWare settings for the Mojave virtual system worked just fine.   

Not at all sure how or why it was working with Shares noted to start with, but really doesn't matter either.   

Now all is good.

Cheers-
Dan 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm glad that you got things working again. 

Nothing like having to restore from backup to put a crimp in your productivity and test your patience, eh?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
dan28088
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So true.   I didn't know they were replacing the entire main board.  I thought there was a module that held the USB-C and USB receivers, but I am diligent about my backups and made one just the same.

The restoration was smooth, but all sorts of applications needed reauthorization.  The quirk with VMware was unexpected.  When it showed me shares I thought nothing about it and just deleted and re-added.

It makes more sense that they would not be necessary - but  I didn't know and posting to this forum seemed the fastest way to figure out what was off.

Thanks - stay happy and healthy!

0 Kudos