VMware Communities
pplanch
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion - installing Windows 8.1 when no image or DVD is available (only Windows installation exe) ?

Just purchased VMWare Fusion 6 today, and also a license for Windows 8.1.

With the purchase of the Windows 8.1 license, I was able to download an exe file (back-up media to be expected in 7 days).

Trying to install Fusion, it prompts me for a DVD or disk image (and in the drop down I only see Windows 7 ...). Is there a possibility to install Windows 8.1 virtual machine using the exe file only ?

(running Mavericks on a 13" MacBook Air late 2010, hoping to install virtual machine on a 128GB SD drive from StorEdge)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice offered,

Philip

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

pplanch wrote: ... With the purchase of the Windows 8.1 license, I was able to download an exe file (back-up media to be expected in 7 days).

Trying to install Fusion, it prompts me for a DVD or disk image (and in the drop down I only see Windows 7 ...). Is there a possibility to install Windows 8.1 virtual machine using the exe file only ?

Without running it under a qualified version of Windows to either install it or create an Install Disc, ISO Image or USB Installer, no!  You need to install from Physical Optical Media, ISO Image or USB Installer.

0 Kudos
pplanch
Contributor
Contributor

Woody, thanks for your reply.

I am new to Fusion, and don't have any prior copy of Windows available. Is there a way for me to get en ISO image somewhere ? and if so, is it sufficient for me to mount that in Mavericks prior to running Fusion set-up ?

Philip

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The only suggestion I have would be to download Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation and install it then run the Windows8-Setup.exe while supplying the Product Key you purchased and then choose to make an ISO Image and then copy it from the Windows VM to the Mac so as to be used to attach to the CD/DVD for a new Windows 8 Virtual Machine to install to.  Or wait until your Install Disc comes from Microsoft.

That said, I do not know if this will work since I've not done it myself however from what I've read elsewhere on the Internet it should work.

0 Kudos
pplanch
Contributor
Contributor

Woody, I tried with an ISO I could find after googling a little, no luck. Then I tried your suggestion downloading the evaluation ... but the download screen requires a response on the question which operating system I am running now, and only choices are Windows. I don't have any version of Windows now, I am trying to do a clean install from scratch ... seems Windows is not really friendly to attract completely new customers ...

No luck so far ...

0 Kudos
pplanch
Contributor
Contributor

Also, from your response it wasn't clear to me how I could run the exe file while supplying product key ... I can only run the exe file from a DOS or Windows machine that is up and running ... no ?

0 Kudos
RandySH
Contributor
Contributor

Hello - I figured out how to do this. You can download the Windows 8.1 exe from Microsoft. Then go to Windows 8.1 Tips: How To Download the Windows 8.1 Pro ISO - Canadian IT Professionals - Site Home -...  and follow the instructions.

When asked, install to a USB stick and copy the ISO to the stick. Then go the device you have VMWare installed on, insert the stick, open VMWare and follow the installation instructions.

Hope that helps -- Randy S

0 Kudos