VMware Communities
DBipes
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion Professional 8.5.3 suspends every time Mac 10.11.3 sleeps

Prior to this week my Mac could sleep but my VM (Win7) did NOT suspend.  This week the VM suspends every time the Mac is put to sleep (either via timer or when I manually sleep).  I can somewhat understand that logic but I MUCH prefer the VM be there and ready after I enter Mac password to awaken the machine.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CuriosTiger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like this may be a workaround they implemented for the kernel panic Fusion experiences on some machines when they try to wake from "deep sleep" with running VMs. (VMware Fusion would corrupt the sleep image, which resulted in a host OS kernel panic on wake.)

I never heard anything about that bug getting resolved, but suspending VMs prior to entering deep sleep may avoid it. So my guess is that's why they did it.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm not aware of any facility in Fusion that would cause your VMs to suspend when the host suspends.

Are you sure that the guest OS is not configured to sleep after a period of inactivity?  If you put your Mac to sleep (by choosing [Apple menu] > Sleep) and then wake it 30 seconds later, is the VM still running, or has it suspended?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos