VMware Communities
zapnyou
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion 2.06 and Windows XP Professional Repair

I have been using VMWare Fusion for 6 months now. I found out that I had a problem with Norton 360. It kept having problems seeing my external drive. We tried to remove Norton and reinstall it in my Admininstrator account, but nothing would happen. The process would "disappear." Norton Level 4 engineers said it was a Windows problem, since when we added another user account, it worked fine in that account. They suggested that I "repair" Windows.

So, I have been trying to Repair Windows using KB Article: 10103846.

1. The article needs to state that when you get to the "boot from the CD-Rom drive option," you need to use your "Arrow Keys" to select. The mouse cursor does not work, nor does the "Tab Key."

2. After "Specify additional devices" screen, I get :"Windows startup," not "Welcome to setup" screen, plus there is no "End user agreement."

3. I hit "R" to repair and it says to press "Control +" to release the mouse and disconnect the floppy drive, so you do not get a "NTLDR is missing error." Since the "Control +" does not work for me, I get the "NTLDR is missing error," and then my screen freezes.

I could really use some help or suggestions!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

If you need to disconnect the floppy just select Virtual Machine > Floppy > disconnect. Use ctrl+command to release the mouse from the virtual machine to get to the Virtual Machine menu, then click back in to continue the repair option.

0 Kudos
zapnyou
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying.

I did try releasing the floppy drive using the Virtual menu, but I can't do it fast enough before the Virtual machine reboots and I get the error.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Windows repair setup gives you a few seconds to disconnect before it reboots. Once you get the error it's not fatal, you can disconnect the floppy and select Virtual Machine > Restart or hold the option key while clicking in the Virtual Machine menu for a "Force Restart" option.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Here are some notes that might be helpful...

====================

Notes: Booting the Virtual machine from CD/DVD or ISO Image

If the Virtual Machine is not booting the CD/DVD or ISO Image then select the CD-ROM from the Boot Menu.

To engage the Boot Menu and select CD-ROM Drive...

At the bottom on the Virtual Machine Display just above the Status Bar after starting the Virtual Machine it states...

"Press F2 to enter SETUP, F12 for Network Boot, ESC for Boot Menu"

On the Status Bar it states...

"To direct input to this virtual machine, click inside the window."

Now the BIOS flashes by very quick so one has to work quickly however give it a try and if the Boot Menu can't be brought up then the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file will need to be edited to slow down the POST and or change the Boot Order.

Okay, click the big Play button on the Virtual Machine Display and then quickly mouse click into the Virtual Machine's Display and then press the Esc key to bring up the Boot Menu and select the CD-ROM Drive. If it boots the CD fine and if the Boot Menu doesn't show because it just goes to quick then try again or...

Look at the Boot Delay section in and the Virtual Machine Files section in on where the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file is and add the following lines to the file. TextEdit can be used to edit the .vmx file.

To give more time to engage the Boot Menu add the following...

bios.bootDelay = "3000"

To, one time, force the Virtual Machine into the BIOS to change the Boot Order in the BIOS so the CD-ROM is first add the following....

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

====================

Notes: Editing the .vmx File

For Fusion 2.0 ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine entry on the Virtual Machine Library windows and select Show in Finder and then crtl-click the Virtual Machine Package and select Show Package Contents.

By default in Fusion 1.x normal file based Fusion Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder and depending on Host OS ver. and or Fusion ver. there may be a .localized after Virtual Machines although by default this extension is not visible in Finder.

~ Is your Home Folder.

Files that comprise the Virtual Machine are placed in a Folder (a.k.a. Bundle and or Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default this extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP".

To view the Package Contents of the "Windows XP.vmwarevm" folder ctrl-click (or right-click) the "Windows XP" icon and select Show Package Contents.

To edit the .vmx configuration file ctrl-click (or right-click) on the "Windows XP.vmx" file and select Open With > Other... then in Choose Application choose TextEdit.

Note: If using Firefox do not copy and paste the parameters if using TextEdit unless you only copy the exact line and nothing else otherwise use an Editor like TextWrangler.

====================

Fusion Related Information

If the Virtual Machine was created using Windows Easy Install or has a VMware SCSI Virtual Hard Disk you need to download the VMware SCSI Drivers and set the vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp file as the Floppy for the Virtual Machine in the target Virtual Machine's Settings sheet. This floppy image contains the VMware SCSI Disk Drivers needed when booting with the Windows XP CD and you need to press F6 when it says "Press F6 if you need to install..." near the bottom of the Virtual Machine window and it will then prompt for the driver after it continues to load additional files. Just follow the prompts.

For working with the Floppy have a look at the following:

Fusion 1.x > VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring a Floppy Device...

Fusion 2.0 > VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Managing Other Devices with the Settings Window > Configuring a Floppy Device...

For working with the CD/DVD have a look at: VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring the CD/DVD Drive...

====================

Notes: Keyboard

Depending on various setting one may need to adjust various Keyboard Preferences to work with the Function Keys and or use the Fn Key.

OS X > You may need to press the Fn+F6 etc. and this can be changed in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Use all F1, F2, etc....

Fusion 1.x > VMware Fusion (menu) > Preferences... > Keyboard and Mouse > Enable Mac OS keyboard shortcuts

Fusion 2.0 > VMware Fusion (menu) > Preferences... > Keyboard & Mouse > Mac OS Shortcuts > Enable Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts

====================

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Once you get your XP repaired, you may want to invest in making a slipstreamed version of your XP disc with the VMware SCSI driver integrated. There is a simple utility called nLite that does the heavy lifting. I took my XP SP2 disc, slipstreamed SP3 into it as well as the VMware SCSI drivers, so no need to connect floppies or deal with the BIOS, etc.

Most users don't repair that often but having a slipstream ISO of XP is worth it, IMO.

0 Kudos
zapnyou
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you everyone for trying to help me out. What I finally figured out was that for some reason I had two installments of VMWare Fusion and one was taking over 2/3 of my total hard drive space. I do not know why this happened or what and I couldn't get rid of it without deleting both copies. So, that is what I did.

0 Kudos