VMware Communities
carnut
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE down....AGAIN

For the second time in under 3 mths VMW won’t close/load properly and my Windows desktop won’t load. I get error message stating that VMW Tools scripts aren’t running properly. As I did last time, I deleted all files in ‘Virtual Machines’ folder and restored all files (ie, full XP ‘package’ content files) from earlier backups. I’ve restore (3) times and continue to get the following error when launching VMW:

"/Users/xxxxxxxxx/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional 2.vmwarevm" does not exist.

I didn’t get this error last time. What am I missing?...thx.....

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What am I missing?

Well the error message is telling you what you're missing...

"/Users/xxxxxxxxx/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional 2.vmwarevm" does not exist.

So have you navigated to the path presented and checked to see if the "Windows XP Professional 2.vmwarevm" Virtual Machine Package exists?

If it does then you'll need to check the permissions on the package and the files within and you could post a file listing as described in along with the vmware.log files so we can see what's going on.

0 Kudos
carnut
Contributor
Contributor

not sure how but I managed to get back up and operational. I restored over files a fourth time and then was able to launch a good 'guest' under VMW. Even now that I'm working, I can't locate the file I was being asked for before?

Someone in my company has stated earlier to me to just keep restoring and eventually one batch would work! That sounds like what happened here, but that sucks. What's the point of backing up if one version is going to work and another not? I've been following the procedure recommended here during an earlier post. I open up all XP package files via 'show package contents' and then copy all over to my backup external drive. If an issue comes up, then clear out all contents from 'Virtual Machines' folder and replace with backup version. This worked as advertised once earlier but this time I ran into this issue.

I have notice when running the backups that typically there are same number of files in the XP package, but sometimes there's maybe one/two more. Not sure if that means anything?

thx....

0 Kudos