VMware Communities
TJF_DENVER
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE Fusion 13.5.1 ... "thin print" issue doc says resolved, but its not

heavy VMWARE Fusion on Mac OS (latest release) ... 50+ VM's ... release notes at https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/13.5.1/rn/vmware-fusion-1351-release-notes/index.html states the "thin print" message is resolved ...

simple testing shows its not ... 

serial0: Parameter "serial0.fileType" has an invalid value "thinprint".

I sure wish VMWare would show-some-love to FUSION and polish it like Parallels is polished ... so many annoyances ... nothing critical, but lets put parallels out of business!

4 Replies
craigz212
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, not only does the dialog persist, but now instead of 1 time, the message is now displayed 2 times in 2 separate um, boxes. So it's actually more present following the "fix".

0 Kudos
craigz212
Contributor
Contributor

Replying to myself here, just to share the 'fix' I just discovered. 

This response to a question regarding a Windows 10 installation contains a solution that I've just implemented and can confirm the "thin print" message no longer appears on boot.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Something-very-suspicious-going-on-in-Wi...

The thinprint messages are due to Fusion 13.5 dropping support for virtual printers. You get rid of those messages by shutting down Fusion, then editing the .vmx file and removing 3 lines referencing serial0 and thinprint.

The `serial0` line is on it's own in the file, and the 2 lines referencing `thinprint` are further down in the file and are grouped together. Assuming no need for a serial port in your VM, it seems fairly safe to remove the item(s). I've just rebooted the VM after editing the `.vmx` and the dialog box(es) no longer appear and the VM remains as I'd left it, with no issues (so far).

0 Kudos
onejasong
Contributor
Contributor

VMs using TPM have a .vmx file that is encrypted. I'm not sure why vmware doesn't explain this better but I was able to fix this issue by simply:

Close the VM and go into settings.

Click on "Printers" and it will say " Virtual Printing is no longer supported"

"Please remove/delete" port.

Once you click that, it is 100% resolved. 

In my case the message no longer appears. 

I hope this helps!

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for finding this out. VMware only told part of the story in the release notes. They didn't tell us that we could now delete the non-functional printer port in the GUI so we don't have to resort to hacking the .vmx file.

Note to VMware @Mikero : Can you tell the documentation people that they have to do a better job in the release notes?  This is something that should have had a better explanation rather than a simple "we fixed it". 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos