VMware Communities
marionegp
Contributor
Contributor

VM Kernal stack fault

Hi,

I am hoping someone out there is more knowledgeable than I am!

I have VMware fusion 2.0.2 running on a MacBook with 2Ghz intel core 2 duo processor, 2BG 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM with OS X 10.5.7. I have windows XP

I use VMware specifically to run a library management system: Junior Librarian, this is a windows system. I also run a BVS Solitaire game. Until this week I had encountered very few problems. Recently I have been getting prompts that a VMware upgrade is available and when I first received it I followed the link, although I seemed to have upgraded it, the upgrade didn't actually take and working on the if it ain't broke don't fix it basis have cancelled every time since when reminded of this upgrade.

Nothing has changed in my set up this week, but I have now had three crashes casuesed by the kernal stack fault, below is the text of the error message:

vcpu-0:This virtual machine has tried to execute an invalid part of memory. It is possible that the virtual disk or CD media you are using is not bootable or that a program or driver running in the virtual machine has malfunctioned.

Please report this problem by selecting menu item Help > VMware on the Web > Request Support, or by going to the Web page "http://vmware.com/info?id=8&logFile=%2fUsers%2fmarionprickett%2fVirtual%20Machines%2fWindows%20XP%20Marion%27s%2evmwarevm%2fvmware%2elog&coreLocation=%2fUsers%2fmarionprickett%2fVirtual%20Machines%2fWindows%20XP%20Marion%27s%2evmwarevm%2fvmware%2dcore%2egz". Please provide us with the log file (/Users/marionprickett/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Marion's.vmwarevm/vmware.log) and the core file(s) (/Users/marionprickett/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Marion's.vmwarevm/vmware-core.gz).

If the problem is repeatable, please set 'Logging level' to 'Debug' in the 'Misc' panel of Virtual Machine Settings. Then reproduce the incident and file it according to the instructions.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Information" from the Help menu.

You can also run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool" directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

We appreciate your feedback,

-- the VMware Fusion team.

I tried contacting VM direct unfortunately I didn't get a reply and realise I am probably not entitled to one as I have been a customer for too long.

Regards and thanks

Marion

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
marionegp
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

OK, I've done all that but the disk did not show. What I am going to

do is take the Mac into PC world, they did the RAM upgrade, and get

them to check it. If that is the solution then I am really glad I got

PC world to do the upgrade at least they will have to put it right!

I have used computers for a long time but never felt very confident

with the hardware side of it. At least I have been able to back up the

data which is the most important thing as Jnr Lib is essentially a

database and I have spent a lot of time adding data and would have

been very fed up if I had lost it!

Thanks for your help - I will let you know what happens just for your

info as it may help with other users with problems.

Regards

Marion

0 Kudos
marionegp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, All

I think, the problem is solved. I am only being cautious because I know that things appear to be fixed and then go wrong. Anyway, I took Mike's advice and got the RAM changed (thanks PC World for agreeing to do this). It seems to have worked. The only thing I had to do was to reinstall the VMWare tools and I am having to reset the monitor settings every time I start up Jnr Librarian in VMWare but so long as it works I don't care. I am very pleased I did not have to reinstall Windows and everything else.

Many thanks to VMWare for all their help too.

Regards

Marion.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad to hear you got that sorted out 😃

Cheers!

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos