VMware Communities
hogbob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to open VM after upgrading to fusion 4.02

Hi

Had my VM running - then Fusion 4.01 told me thre was an update availeblae. I chose upgrade and after that the window with VM's shows my VM with an escalation mark on it  "Error" ...

When trying "Flie - Open" I am unable to select the VM file at all

When trying to open the VM from the finder I just get the message "unable to open" .....

I once got an error that the file was assosiated to an application totally different - but I am unable to replicate that error

Anybody knows how to resolve this or at least get my 4.01 back in working shape

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I was able to get the error again-... while rightclicking vmware and chosing my VM machine there

"The document "MyVM.vmx" could not be opened. VMware Fusion cannot open files in the "Steinberg VST Mixer Settings" format"

Sounds like the Mac OS X Launch Services Database is messed up.

Try making the folder the files that comprise the Virtual Machine into a Document Package by adding the .vmwarevm extension and see if it will then start in VMware Fusion properly.

Otherwise you can use a program like RCDefaultApp to correct the association of .vmx and or .vmwarevm extensions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hogbob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Forgot to mention that I am ruunig OS X 10.7 Lion

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
hogbob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

File attached

I was able to get the error again-... while rightclicking vmware and chosing my VM machine there

"The document "MyVM.vmx" could not be opened. VMware Fusion cannot open files in the "Steinberg VST Mixer Settings" format"

Well I DO have Steinberg Cubase 5 installed on my Macbook Pro - but it have been running together with VMware Fusion - untill I installed the 4.0.2 update

I have tried to remove Fusion completely and have reinstalled 4.0.1  - but I still get the same errors

Is this a simple "file mapping" issue ?? And if so - how do I fix it ?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like the Mac OS X Launch Services Database is messed up.

Try making the folder the files that comprise the Virtual Machine into a Document Package by adding the .vmwarevm extension and see if it will then start in VMware Fusion properly.

Otherwise you can use a program like RCDefaultApp to correct the association of .vmx and or .vmwarevm extensions.

0 Kudos
hogbob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That fixed it - thanks a lot  - simply renamed the folder to MyVM.vmwarevm

0 Kudos