VMware Communities
TechnoGranny
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install Windows ME OS

I downloaded the 30 day Trial version of Fusion 1.1.1 on to my iMac (OSX). I previously have purchased Code Weavers, Crossover-Mac to accommodate my Windows Quicken; but because of Intuit phasing out all but the 2008 version, there is now a major problem with my continuing to use Crossover. They do not supprt the Quicken 2008 version; however I was able to install it anyway using a Windows 2000 bottle. The problem is that Quicken needs to utilize Internet Explorer for downloads & IE cannot be installed within the Windows 2000 bottle.

So I decided to check out an alternative and decided that vmware fusion would probably be my best bet. I don't want to have to purchase a full blown version of Windows however. Money is an issue. But I have a full blow version of Windows ME (with Key) and also an ungrade disk (with key) to Windows XP Professional. I decided to try and install ME and then the upgrade disk before installing Quicken 2008 and migrating over the data. I read the getting started Tutorial; but Fusion is not seeing the disk and so can't load the OS.

First I installed the ME OS disk, it showed on my Mac Desktop. Crossover tried to open it & I hit "ignor". Then when I started a new vm machine, the disk icon completelly disappeared from my Mac desktop...The vm process got only as far as the page asking me from where I was loading the OS. I clicked on CD but the next screen that was supposed to ask me for the Key, never came up. Instead I was just starring at a black screen with what looked like a white DOS cursor. When I clicked on it, my mouse went away & I could only get it back by clicking on F3. Next I removed the disk, created a new vm machine and inserted the disk only when asked for it. Pretty much the same thing happened except that when I got the black screen, it asked if to use the HD or CD. I tried to click on CD; but as soon as I went near the black screen, the mouse would not work. I tried to type in the response; but the keyboard was inoperative as well.

Back to F3 to get back my mouse...took the disk out & decided, what the heck, I'll see what happens with the XP upgrade disk. Well that actually went further than the ME disk. It went thru all of the VM steps including my entering the Key. I actually looked like it would install; but then I got the message that it couldn't find the Hard Drive.

HELP....anyone have any ideas??? I was thinking that maybe my Crossover may be interferring; but I'm afraid to experiment & loose my Quicken Data.

Hope someone out there is familiar with Crossover as well as Fusion and can figure this out. Oh yes, this is not using Boot Camp since I want to run the apps side by side with the Mac stuff...Thanks.

TechnoGranny

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Then when I started a new vm machine, the disk icon completelly disappeared from my Mac desktop...

This is normal and actually a good sign, it means that Fusion grabbed the CD. Only one OS can control hardware at a time, which is why it disappears from the Desktop.

Back to F3 to get back my mouse...took the disk out & decided, what the heck, I'll see what happens with the XP upgrade disk. Well that actually went further than the ME disk. It went thru all of the VM steps including my entering the Key. I actually looked like it would install; but then I got the message that it couldn't find the Hard Drive.

How did you create the virtual machine - you're not trying to use Easy Install, are you? I don't think it'll work well with upgrade disks.

HELP....anyone have any ideas??? I was thinking that maybe my Crossover may be interferring; but I'm afraid to experiment & loose my Quicken Data.

I doubt Crossover is interfering.

0 Kudos
TechnoGranny
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for addressing the issue of the disappearing disc icon; but the core issue still remains. After I set up the VM, the OS (ME or XP) dosn't load. I just have this black screen starring back at me. Yes, I'm using Easy Intall. I just followed the Tutorial directions and it wouldn't go past the VM install.

In regards to the XP upgrade, I just tried it out of frustration; but it's my understanding that the upgrade disk should not be able to work on it's own without a full blown OS being installed first. That's the reason that I'm trying to install the ME. I can't really use the ME by itself since it's antiquated & most software will not run with it. My intention was to install the ME first & then run the XP upgrade on top of the ME. I don't know if it will work but it's worth the try. Now if only I could get the ME OS to load & run!! Do you have any idea what is going on?? As I said, the Easy Install isn't even going thru all of the screens that are supposed to appear. It quits after saying that the VM is installed and now on to installing the OS...That's it. I dies at that point.

0 Kudos
TechnoGranny
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks etung; but where do I go from here?? See my latest post in

commuities, please. And bye the way, I did uninstall Crossover &

you're right. It didn't do anything for me. Also; in the process of

trying repeatedly to get this to work, I've created multiple VM's that

don't work. How do I delete them? I don't like messy! I Spoke to

someone in Sales who suggested uninstalling Fusion & then

reinstalling; but the old VM's remain even when the software is

uninstalled.

TehnoGranny

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Easy Install doesn't work with Windows ME (try creating a WinME virtual machine and you'll see that Easy Install isn't an option), which suggests that you've created an XP virtual machine and are trying to use Easy Install. That won't work; at the least you won't be able to use Easy Install, and there may be something about an XP virtual machine that ME doesn't like.

I believe some upgrade disks allow you to insert your old Windows CD as proof, so you may not need to install the old version. I would suggest creating an XP virtual machine, not using Easy Install, and see if it asks you for the ME CD. If it does, you can eject the XP CD by disconnecting the CD from the virtual machine (Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Disconnect CD/DVD), then ejecting from OS X.

in the process of trying repeatedly to get this to work, I've created multiple VM's that don't work. How do I delete them?

Delete them via the Finder, just like you would any other document.

0 Kudos
TechnoGranny
Contributor
Contributor

Followed your instructons with the XP upgrade disk & it was looking good until I got to the Licensing Agreement. I need to press F8 to agree; but my keystrokes are not being recognized & I'm stuck. What next??

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Followed your instructons with the XP upgrade disk & it was looking good until I got to the Licensing Agreement. I need to press F8 to agree; but my keystrokes are not being recognized & I'm stuck. What next??

1. You must mouse click into the Virtual Machine's windows in order for it to receive mouse and or keyboard input as noted by the "To direct input to this virtual machine, click inside the window." message in the Virtual Machine's Status Bar at the bottom of the Virtual Machine's window.

2. If you're using OS X Leopard 10.5.x you may have to temporarily disable the F8 Keyboard Shortcut in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > Spaces F8 check box.

Other Factors:

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Use all F1, F2, etc. ... check box.

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Preferences... Keyboard and Mouse > Enable Mac OS keyboard shortcuts check box.

0 Kudos
TechnoGranny
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU both for your assistance. WoodyZ your instructions to shut off F8 in Mac Preferences did the trick. Install didn't go without it's minor glitches; but overall I'm just thrilled to get it up & running. Now that I'm over that hump, I'll need to go back & read thru the manual in greater detail....I'll be back in the group should I run into any futher problems....Again, your help was greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos