Hello,

System Information:

Computer: new 15" macbook pro

Fusion Pro v7 30 day trial

Guest System: Windows 7 Enterprise

Work router: Cisco 2921 (2900 series)

Home router: Standard FIOS router.

What I want:

I work on several developer projects.  Right now I am working on one that uses PHP and SQL Server 2012 -- strange I know.  I need to have my windows system running in the background so I can test my PHP code on my host machine (mac).

Example: I name my windows machine "fusionvm" I should be able to go to http://fusionvm on my host machine and access the site.

Problem(s):

1. I am able to connect via bridged mode @home or even tethered to my phone however at work I just get a 169 address and it won't work.  I even try using an external USB wifi adapter and it still won't work.  What needs to be done on the Cisco router side to open this up?  I asked our network team and they are dumbfounded as to why it's not working saying it's open and shouldn't be blocked.

-- Temp Solution: Install the WiFi USB adapter on my windows machine and connect to the network that way.

2.  Because I installed the USB WiFi adapter on my machine I had our network team set my up with a static IP via the mac address of it so I can access my machine locally.  The issue here is for some reason every couple of hours I lose connection to the WiFi on my guest (Windows 7 machine). I am unable to see any Wireless Networks unless I enable / Disable my Wi-Fi Adapter in windows.

3. Every time I shutdown my VM I have to unplug and re plug in my USB WiFi Adapter for windows to see it.  When I do this Fusion prompts me asking if I want to connect to my MAC or PC.  I always select PC.  Anyway to make it automatically show up so I dont have to keep disconnecting and re-connecting it?

4.  When using Wi-Fi mode in the VM I am unable to see my computer name but I can see the IP so going to the IP gives me the webpage I am looking for but the name (fusionvm) does not show up.  -- I can have my network team fix this on their end but it's strange that it's not auto resolving?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jboku
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone?  i am sure I can't be the only one with some of these problems?  Even if I can get my wifi adapter to stop disconnecting from my VM box every few hours that would be a big help.

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi jboku,

Welcome to the forum.Smiley Happy

however at work I just get a 169 address and it won't work.

Did you try to renew ip address in your VM? Did disconnect/reconnect virtual network adapter of your VM make sense?

Because I installed the USB WiFi adapter on my machine I had our network team set my up with a static IP via the mac address of it so I can access my machine locally.

Why do you use static IP address in stead of DHCP?

The issue here is for some reason every couple of hours I lose connection to the WiFi on my guest (Windows 7 machine).

Is there an error message when this issue happen?

3. Every time I shutdown my VM I have to unplug and re plug in my USB WiFi Adapter for windows to see it.  When I do this Fusion prompts me asking if I want to connect to my MAC or PC.  I always select PC.  Anyway to make it automatically show up so I dont have to keep disconnecting and re-connecting it?

You can set the USB adapter behavior via VirtualMachine--Settings--USB&Bluetooth of your VM.Select your USB adapter and change the Plug In Action to Connect to Windows. The next time your plug your adapter, it will connect to your VM automatically.

0 Kudos