VMware Communities
rwvu
Contributor
Contributor

Suggestion for a Fusion Enhancement...

I use fusion (6, Professional) mostly in the background, connecting via ssh. While it is always possible to hide the windows, I actually prefer to close the console window with the little red button on the upper left of the mac screen. Clicking that button puts up a window with the option to run in the background and I click that. Getting the console back, however, isn't either obvious or intuitive. One way to do it is to select View->Fullscreen (I normally run "Single Window") but then to get to "Single Window" one has to change back.

If anyone at VMWare is listening, I would like to suggest that the Fusion "View" menu have an item (call it what you will) "Background" that has the same effect as closing the remote machines's console window and running that machine in background. Then to retrieve the console with in a window or full screen, one of the other View options could be selected.

I'm sure it isn't relevant, but by way of explaining why I might be interested in suppressing the console more definitively than just hiding it, I am primarily interested in VMs running Scientific Linux (a Centos variety) and do essentially all graphical interactions via X11. Running in this mode all day with no need for a console most of the time, it is just convenient.

Regards,

RW

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello rwvu,

Welcome at the VMware communities forum.

Thanks for that tip. Was aware there is a similar function in VMware workstation, but didn't know this feature was in Fusion as well. Down here I never had the confirmation dialog enabled.

So in my case the VM just suspended on clicking the close icon of the VM.

That certainly is an interesting feature, would love to have another GUI option of moving a VM to the background.

Another way to move a VM from background back to foreground is double click on the VM entry in the VM Library.

That does keep the VM in the same window mode as before moving it to the background.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos