VMware Communities
wifiguy
Contributor
Contributor

Stretching screen resolution

Running VMWare Fusion 2.0 on my MBP 15". I'd like to know how I can stretch the screen resolution to my monitor (so I don't have the black border around the virtual machine). I have a game that only runs in 800x600 and it's impossible to play because I can't see anything.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wifiguy
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention, if it matters - guest OS is XP Professional SP3.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What game is it? In 2.0, fullscreen stretching should happen automatically but maybe the game is doing something strange.

0 Kudos
wifiguy
Contributor
Contributor

It's an online game called Dransik. Interestingly the game itself won't run in full screen mode - I have to run it in windowed mode.

Running my VM in unity, windowed or fullscreen all yield the same results - if I increase the screen resolution it doesn't stretch the remaining workable screen area to the monitor, it simply reduces it. I go from the 1440xwhatever to a 800x600, or 1024x768 area of the monitor I can work on the VM with. I guess I figured it would make everything larger and more distorted, but spanned over the size of the monitor.

I hope that makes sense. I think you get what I'm looking for but let me know if you need more info.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ah, I think I see. First off, screen stretching doesn't work in Unity. One thing to try is to uninstall Tools - then the guest display should always be stretched to fit the window, both in single window and in fullscreen. This isn't a good long-term solution (because Tools are useful), but it may work for now.

0 Kudos
wifiguy
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I guess I was hoping for some kind of config file entry or something as this VM has other uses too.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
gyper
Contributor
Contributor

It would be nice if there was an option to apply any chosen resolution to the full screen rather than cropping it. Especially to those with poor eyesight. Could it be an option in Tools?

0 Kudos