VMware Communities
santuitman
Contributor
Contributor

Shutdown hangs and other fun, Help!! Fusion 2.0.5 - Vista Business - OSX10.5.7

Hello All

I'm not sure how to write this up correctly so bear with me, please. I am running Fusion 2.0.5 on a newer Mac 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with OSX10.5.7 I have Vista Businees edition as my virtual machine. I have a couple different things going on. Hopefully someone has had similar issues and has figured them out.

1. When I run the virtual machine, through fusion with the Mac already running, very often it won't shut down. It hangs either on logging off or shutting down. If I force quit fusion and then restart fusion the virtual machine is still stuck in the shutdown phase. I have to restart the MAC to get the virtual machine to work again.

2. When I run the virtual machine, either through fusion with the Mac already running or right off the boot camp partition, often the applications won't open/run. for instance if you try to open IE you might get the little blue swirl that makes you think it's working but it never opens. A restart will usually bring it back to working.

Is this something anyone else has had happen? I think it started about the time I updated fusion and the MAC OS. I made the mistake of doing them at about the same time frame so I don't know if either of them might have something to do with it.

Any thoughts/advice would be great!!

Thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

1. When I run the virtual machine, through fusion with the Mac already running, very often it won't shut down. It hangs either on logging off or shutting down.

Generally that's an issue with the Guest, not Fusion itself.

If I force quit fusion and then restart fusion the virtual machine is still stuck in the shutdown phase.

That's normal if you Force Quit. You shouldn't need to Force Quit fusion however. Are you unable to 'quit' it normally (Command + Q or from the Menu Bar > VMware Fusion > Quit VMware Fusion

I have to restart the MAC to get the virtual machine to work again.

You shouldn't have to do that (obviously)...

Fusion, the application, and the Virtual Machine itself are two separate entities working together. If the guest (Windows) freezes, force-quitting Fusion itself likely won't do much because it's not having a problem, the Virtual Machine (Windows) itself is...

You'd probably have more success, and wouldn't have to restart the Mac simply going to the Menu Bar > Virtual Machine > Power Off (You may see 'Shutdown Guest' instead, just hold 'Option' to alternate it).

The 'Power Off' feature is the same as pulling the plug on a physical computer, which generally is viewed a 'last resort'.

2. When I run the virtual machine, either through fusion with the Mac already running or right off the boot camp partition, often the applications won't open/run.

Did you install the Boot Camp drivers when booted fully to Windows?

Did you install VMware Tools when running in a Virtual Machine?

for instance if you try to open IE you might get the little blue swirl that makes you think it's working but it never opens. A restart will usually bring it back to working.

sounds odd...

Is this something anyone else has had happen? I think it started about the time I updated fusion and the MAC OS. I made the mistake of doing them at about the same time frame so I don't know if either of them might have something to do with it.

Very likely it's just Vista misbehaving, not Fusion.

Let me know if you installed Tools or the Boot Camp Drivers (when running Windows standalone), and what happens when you 'Power Off' the VM from the Mac side.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
santuitman
Contributor
Contributor

Of Course All my problems went away as sson as I posted this...

Actually it seems that if I do the restart thing two or three times then things are okay untill I shutdown for the day so all was good for the rest of the day while I was trying to duplicate the issues. After the weekend I booted directly into the Vista virtual machine. When I used the boot camp tools to restart into OSX it just sat with the logging off message. I tried controal alt del which brought up the correct menus but it still would not shut down and I had to hit the power button to shut down. On restart I used the opt key to boot to OSX which seems okay and I booted the virtual Vista machine while in OSX and that (sofar) seems okay.

> If I force quit fusion and then restart fusion the virtual machine is still stuck in the shutdown phase.

"That's normal if you Force Quit. You shouldn't need to Force Quit

fusion however. Are you unable to 'quit' it normally (Command + Q or

from the Menu Bar > VMware Fusion > Quit VMware Fusion"

When I'm having the problem of the virtual machine not shutting done VMware just locks up. The only way I can shut it down is usiong force quit as none of the other methods work.

"Let me know if you installed Tools or the Boot Camp Drivers (when running Windows standalone)"

Boot camp driver and tools are installed

Thanks for the help. I don't know if this would help but I'll try most anything that would kill my machine... Can I uninstall and the reinstall Fusion without disturbing my Virtual machine? And other tips?

Thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
robtain
Contributor
Contributor

Any solutions? I've been having the same issue.

Windows Vista Home on Boot Camp partition

Mac OS X 10.5.8 on iMac late 2008 24"

VMWare Fusion 2.0.5

The system is basically non-functional as a guest (i.e. apps don't launch, can't update the VMware tools etc.), but works fine when I boot the iMac using the Boot Camp partition.

The only change that I made to the system was that installed LogMeIn Free.

Rob

0 Kudos
santuitman
Contributor
Contributor

I uninstalled and reinstalled fusion and that seems to have helped me. For some reason the first time I installed fusion it never installed the folder where the tools and McaFee went so Although I thought I had current tools, I did not.

I have to say I'm afraid to do the new apple update now!!

0 Kudos
WilliamReid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

Please upload the tools logs from the host as well as the .nfo file from within the Windows guest and I'll have a look.

For tools logs, with Fusion in focus...

"Help" >> "Collect Support Information"

For the Windows System Information.

"Start" >> "Run" >> "msinfo32" and do a "File" >> "Save" (this one might be slow to export a report)

0 Kudos