VMware Communities
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Scripts to manage Fusion network settings

VM@Work Tokamak 1.0.0

Well I have finally found time to finish the scripts to manage the virtual network settings for VMware Fusion. Real world work got in the way of me finishing it for a few weeks. I have been using this for about a month now, and have not seen any ill effects from it. There is a preliminary document describing the functionality of the script, called VM@Work Tokamak. (Yes cheesy pun on Fusion!). The scripts bring the functionality of the VMware Workstation 6 for Linux product to Mac OS X. It allows you to define new networks, modify existing settings, change bridged etc. In this version I have limited the number of configurable vmnets to 10, but if more is needed it can be quickly altered.

The work has been released after VMware gave me permission to re-distribute their code. I would ask that you respect this and don't repost. It will be available here using the new document feature and at my web site, once I have had time to update it. In the meantime, please feel free to post comments here, PM me or use my private email address. All feedback gladly accepted.

My thanks to Pat Lee, Product Manger for VMware Fusion for helping get permission to modify the code and re-distribute.

Dave

Message was edited by: DaveP

There is an issue with the scripts when adding new vmnets. Unfortunately as I am on vacation I can't fix it as no access to Mac. Will fix and upload next week.

0 Kudos
176 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Haven't looked at it yet, but based on your past work, I'm expecting it to be really good Smiley Happy You might consider turning this into a document to make it easier to find.

0 Kudos
mtatmc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any updated information on how to get these scripts?

Thank you

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

They are coming, but wanted to wait to see that all was OK on Leopard and Fusion 1.1. My copy of Leopard arrived today, so will test as time permits, as this is a home project. Plus work has been a little crazy as I have code deadlines, plus a bunch of other things that has taken up a lot of my time.

Thanks for the interest.

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Well after a long delay due to work pressures here's a newer version of the scripts. It fixes some issues seen originally with the Fusion network adapters not getting an IP address. Please read the PDF file with the scripts first, as there are some gotchas with the way Fusion works. The scripts have been tested with Fusion 1.0 on Tiger and 1.1 on Tiger and Leopard.

0 Kudos
cgprosulting
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks dave!! These help me out tremendously!!

0 Kudos
PFG
Contributor
Contributor

nice work

0 Kudos
EDV_ContentServ
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

really great!

Thanks

Greets

Maxi

0 Kudos
sprucio
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

Was this script created because VMware Fusion by default lacks such a script? I'm trying to disable vmnet1 and vmnet8 and it looks like this is the type of script I'm looking for.

0 Kudos
jbfryman
Contributor
Contributor

I'm actually interested in doing something a bit more elaborate. I

travel a lot, and it's somewhat cumbersome to deal with the problems

that come with that. My Mac always connects to local networks easily

(wireless or wired, it varies based on location), but I need to run VPN

software that is Windows-only. So I wind up with (Internet) -> Mac

-> Fusion VM -> VPN.

The VPN connection works fine, but I'd like to feed that back to the

Mac so my Mac apps can then use the VPN. So what I'd like to do is

define a second NIC in Fusion, do Windows ICS across that, and have the

Mac redirect my local apps through this virtual nic channel.

Has anyone tried this? I can't seem to make the Mac talk to the second

NIC I defined directly. For security purposes, I wanted to make it

Host-Only on the second NIC . . . but I'd settle for any solution at

this point. I need to point Entourage or Safari/Firefox at this second

virtual NIC. I can't trick the VM by re-using the wireless as I

sometimes need that to reach the Internet.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

This make 3 times in 3 minutes you've posted the same message in different threads... STOP IT!

0 Kudos
jbfryman
Contributor
Contributor

Most people don't read every thread in a forum, and web searches certainly don't wind up in the same threads. I spent a lot of time Googling just to find the three I posted in, and there's no way for me to know who does and doesn't monitor a given thread.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Most people don't read every thread in a forum, and web searches certainly don't wind up in the same threads. I spent a lot of time Googling just to find the three I posted in, and there's no way for me to know who does and doesn't monitor a given thread.

Aside from the fact is against the Terms of Use is very annoying to have the same question posted multiple times by the same User and frankly is just not necessary as very few questions go unanswered. You only need to post the same question once!

0 Kudos
nic_hanno
Contributor
Contributor

Nice work Dave.

One question; are the scripts good to go in 1.1.1 Build 72241 ?

Thanks mate.

n.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

They do seem to work OK for me - haven't had a problem yet. I looked at what Dave's scripts do, and compared the Fusion 1.1 and 1.1.1 boot.sh initialization scripts, and didn't find anything that the new version of Fusion did that would break Tokamak.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Hi

The scripts work on 1.1.1. Upgraded last week and haven't had any problems and as no changes under the hood in 1.1.1 don't foresee any issues. Pleased that they have helped out.

Dave

0 Kudos
mikebrads
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you *SO* much, i was about to write an angry email to VMWare complaining that Fusion only provided the same functionality as the Free Player (because it only provided the three default VMNets).

Turns out it is a "Hidden" feature.

0 Kudos
tomster
Contributor
Contributor

I've specifically registered a forum account here just to thank you DaveP for your immensely helpful work! Your scripts work like a charm and the accompanying PDF was very helpful in getting up and running.

@vmware: you should put this guy on your payroll and include the scripts with vmware Fusion from now on!

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

To all who have sent their words of thanks, I very much appreciate it. I am going to be back on the forums soon, but work has meant I have had little time available recently to devote to all things virtual. My first task is to look at the scripts again as they don't seem to be working in Fusion 2 beta. Also my web site moved to a new ISP, run by some friends, and I haven't had time to start writing new content for it, or upload the files.

0 Kudos
LasseKim
Contributor
Contributor

I applaud you for your work ! It has saved some simulation situations i've been running into a number of times.

But i still simply cannot understand why VMWare did not make a graphical tool for doing this ? On Windows the same thing is extremely easy !

Keep up the good work !

0 Kudos