VMware Communities
kior22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running VMWare Fusion 6 on Mac OS X Yosemite Beta

Hi,

I would like to know if VMWare Fusion 6 will work on the Mac OS X Yosemite Beta that apple has just released. I use the VMWare for work so I can't afford upgrading to the Beta and not having Fusion working.

Thanks!

Regards,

Sebastian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your offer.  Our beta releases are quite public, so please keep an eye on VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2014 for the latest.  The current release of that Tech Preview does not yet support Yosemite either as guest or host... You can expect the next update of the Tech Preview to address the most significant issues we have encountered, and at that time we would greatly appreciate your Yosemite testing and any feedback.  (And if you have rolled back to Mavericks already, feel free to grab the Tech Preview and give it a try whenever you want!)

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

85 Replies
TYone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It appears no - found out the hardway.

mprogers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Me, too!  But hopefully VMWare will have a fix out ... in the meantime, I will hold my nose and try their competitor's product.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Development efforts are likely to be focused on the new version of fusion (the May 2014 technical preview). 

0 Kudos
TYone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did not know there was a tech preview out, but no joy with it either.

0 Kudos
mbender71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I too found out the hard way by install Yosemite. I'm hoping that VMware provides an update/fix soon but then again it was my fault for going bleed edge!

0 Kudos
mprogers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to get the competition's product to install with just the usual minor hassles ... but then it wouldn't find my bluetooth device ... so it's back to waiting!

Michael

iamgster2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found out the hard way too.  Someone find a fix I need my fusion to work with Yosemite

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

10.10 is a first-generation beta release.  It will likely be some time (weeks) before Fusion works with it and even then it may break again as Apple releases new beta versions.  

TYone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hopefully won't be weeks, but the other product does work if you are in a bind.

0 Kudos
adamjgmiller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let's stay in one post or at least keep one another posted of any news:

"Unable to retrieve kernel symbols" with Yosemite

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

kior22 wrote:

...I would like to know if VMWare Fusion 6 will work on the Mac OS X Yosemite Beta that apple has just released. I use the VMWare for work so I can't afford upgrading to the Beta and not having Fusion working...   

I'm surprised no one has apparently tried it the other way around, running Yosemite on Fusion. It works, though very slowly, with an agonizingly slow boot.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Confirmed: it works, but is slooooow...

(I opened a discussion about virtualizing Yosemite before seeing your answer here.)

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yosemite as a VM should, indeed, be a separate topic so I posted on your thread too.Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
iamgster2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks!  i wish I read up on this before I did it.  OPSY! Oh well. I trust it will get fixed.

0 Kudos
faceshot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I updated (from 6.0.3) to the fusion May Preview 2014.  Got the same error message with 10.10

0 Kudos
mprogers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This may be a stupid question, but has anybody actually filed a bug with VMWare?  You'd *hope* they'd be aware of this issue, but I know that the Apple forums are not read (officially) by Apple, you have to file bugs separately.

Michael

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We're aware of the issue, and have already filed several internal bug reports for various issues related to running Fusion on Yosemite Beta.  Rest assured that we're working on it!  (We are also tackling the issues related to Yosemite Beta as a guest, too.)

Cheers,

--

Darius

mprogers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome, if you need an external beta tester, I humbly offer my services. 

Michael

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your offer.  Our beta releases are quite public, so please keep an eye on VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2014 for the latest.  The current release of that Tech Preview does not yet support Yosemite either as guest or host... You can expect the next update of the Tech Preview to address the most significant issues we have encountered, and at that time we would greatly appreciate your Yosemite testing and any feedback.  (And if you have rolled back to Mavericks already, feel free to grab the Tech Preview and give it a try whenever you want!)

Cheers,

--

Darius