VMware Communities
cpapa
Contributor
Contributor

Rename Fusion Pro custom network

Hi,

I'm not seeing a way to rename custom networks added in the network editor in Fusion 8 Pro.

Having a bunch of vmxnetX isn't pretty, it would be preferable to rename them to things that make sense to you.

Is there a way to do this? If not, please add that feature!

Thanks,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

As far as I know there is no way to rename the network from within the GUI,  it's always vmnetX.

If you really want the suggestion to actually be "in the system" then it is best to officially file it as a feature request here:

Feature Request | United States

FWIW the community forums are not an official support channel. While VMware employees might jump in and help out at times, they might not read every post.

The community forum is a way to get support from other Fusion users (like me).

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
cpapa
Contributor
Contributor

I'll file a feature request Smiley Happy

Do you know a way to change the name without using the GUI, and without putting something at risk? I am fine with using the terminal etc, perhaps there's a file to edit or similar.

You're doing a great job helping out!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Thanks, I'm not sure if here is a way to change the naming at this point in time.

There's this file:

cat /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/networking

But while it has the configuration of the custom networking components, it does not appear to have a name in there.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos