VMware Communities
fmantek
Contributor
Contributor

Question about reusing a bootcamp partition....

I do understand virtualization pretty good,but i am not sure/can't find documentation on how VMWare uses the bootcamp partition. My goal is to be able to boot into bootcamp to play some games, but also be able to use the bootcamp partition once in a while with VMWare to let's say download upgrades in the background.

Now, VMWare uses it's own set of drivers for video etc. So it must be manipulating/changing the windows installation. That would indicated that either what i want to do is not feasible (every reboot with one or the other would require a driver reinstall) or that VMWare uses a layering system (mabye creates the windows boot/registry to use for itself, but uses the harddrive space for the rest, but that sounds very scary..... )

Is there any documentation how VMWare uses the bootcamp partition and what is possible in operating that partition both ways?

Frank

0 Kudos
1 Reply
michaelmccollou
Contributor
Contributor

I use bootcamp for the same purpose you are speaking of. VMWare tools installs drivers to be used when the machine is running under Fusion, just like a driver for a USB device that is only used/loaded when the device is plugged into the USB port, so is the story with booting between Fusion and Bootcamp. It really is quite seamless. I even used Fusion to install Vista x64 SP1 (Bootcamp will not boot the SP1 cd because of EFI problems with the CD). Once I installed, I was able to boot using bootcamp and install the bootcamp drivers.

You will have not problems booting back and forth, I have had no issues with it. I have even hibernated from Fusion and booted into bootcamp (although I would not suggest doing this as it could cause problems). Fusion is, I have to say, pretty solid and flexible. I have used VMWare for years on PC and am happy to see they are rapidly advancing the Fusion product.

0 Kudos