VMware Communities
eholzwarth
Contributor
Contributor

Permission error - more information or ideas

Hello,

I have VMware Fusion Player Version 12.2.1 on my Intel-based Mac with macOS 11.6.2. When I try to launch my Windows 10 x64 virtual machine it says "No permission to perform this operation." It was working only a few weeks ago and I am not sure what if anything changed. Where can I find more details about the error? Any ideas how I can get it working again?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Start with the following:

• Verify that you have access to the virtual machine by checking the permissions of the virtual machine's bundle.
  • Open the Security & Privacy System Preference, click on the Privacy tab and make sure that VMware Fusion has access to Accessibility, Files and Folders, and Screen Recording
- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
eholzwarth
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much - for some reason the Files & Folders permission was unchecked, and checking it fixed the problem.

Much appreciated!

Ed

0 Kudos
adventureboy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I know this is an old thread - hoping it is still active.

I'm trying to allow all users on this 2018 Macbook Pro running 14.4.1 with VMWare Fusion 13.5.1 to start a virtual machine that is already configured.   The user is an administrator on the Macbook Pro and has access to all files.   I have checked permissions for VMWare Fusion and it has full disk access, Accessibility and Screen and Audio recording.   The user gets "No Permission to Perform Operation". Not sure what to do - the User has access to the VM bundle in the Shared folder but can't start the VM.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
adventureboy
Contributor
Contributor

Also, the VM is Windows 11 and starts fine under my userid on the machine.

0 Kudos