VMware Communities
Fletch
Contributor
Contributor

Performance issues in Windows

Hi,

I'm a long time VirtualBox user that is currently evaluating VMware Fusion due to a number of bugs in VirtualBox that annoy me very much. So far the UI and general experience of setting up a virtual machine has been nice, but overall, the performance of the virtual machine seems to be lacking. IO performance seems OK, but 2D video acceleration seems almost non-existent. Some applications are fine, but Google Chrome is virtually (no pun intended) unusable. Dragging the Chrome window turns things into a slideshow. I don't care about 3D acceleration as this is my work machine, but 2D acceleration is critical. Does anyone experience the same thing?

Another thing that I've noted is that Fusion appears to spin up the fans on my MacBook Pro more frequently than VirtualBox did. This probably means Fusion is putting a bigger load on the host system as compared to VirtualBox. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm running Fusion 7 (trial) on OSX 10.9.4 on a MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011 (2.2Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD6750M). The guest OS is Windows 8.1 x64.

What I've tried so far:

• Switching to hardware version 10 in the compatibility settings.
  • Reinstalling VMware tools.
  • Fiddling with the various hardware acceleration settings in Chrome (about:flags).

I have a vague recollection of setting some kind of slider of how much video memory should be available to the virtual machine when setting it up, but I can't for the life of me find this setting anywhere in the virtual machine settings. I thought perhaps trying different amounts of RAM here could have an impact.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rickard

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies