Contributor
Contributor

OpenSolaris 2009.6 - Unable to install VMware Tools

Hi,

Have problems during installation of VMware Tools under OpenSolaris 2009.6:

Detected X.org version 7.4.3.

Unable to copy the source file

/usr/lib/vmware-tools/configurator/XOrg/7.4/vmware_drv.so to the destination

file /usr/X11/lib/modules/drivers/vmware_drv.so.

Execution aborted.

root@MacBook_Solaris:/tmp/vmware-tools-distrib#

root@MacBook_Solaris:/tmp/vmware-tools-distrib# cd /usr/lib/vmware-tools/configurator/XOrg/

root@MacBook_Solaris:/usr/lib/vmware-tools/configurator/XOrg# ls -ltr

total 6

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4 2009-06-01 12:28 6.8.x

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4 2009-06-01 12:28 7.0

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4 2009-06-01 12:28 7.1

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4 2009-06-01 12:28 7.1_64

root@MacBook_Solaris:/usr/lib/vmware-tools/configurator/XOrg#

I also attached a screenshot.

As you can see the directory "/usr/lib/vmware-tools/configurator/XOrg/7.4" is missing (probably because the X.Org version is too new).

Is there a more current version of VMware Tools which includes the support for XOrg 7.4 version?

Niels

0 Kudos
17 Replies
LuvableMarmot
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue, using Version e.x.p (169060)

0 Kudos
mauricev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To workaround this, make a symlink

ln -s /usr/lib/vmware-tools/configurator/XOrg/7.1 /usr/lib/vmware-tools/configurator/XOrg/7.4

(For x64, use the 7.1_x64 directory.)

0 Kudos
bewst
Contributor
Contributor

Taht workaround makes the installation complete, but doesn't seem to get me any of the Xorg features of vmware tools, e.g. mouse integration, resolution fit, etc.

0 Kudos
Gen__K__Whale
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I also see that the workaround proposed above does make the failure message go away, but the vmware tools don't work at all. The vmware-user process does run when I log in, but none of the features work, as far as I can tell.

When I log into my desktop GUI on the Solaris box, I can see that vmware-guestd-binary and vmware-memctld are running, but not vmware-user. If I manually start vmware-user it complains:

vmware-user: failed to load vmblock

vmware-user: failed to start vmblock

...and then proceeds to do nothing.

Any other ideas how to fix this?

0 Kudos
bewst
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
dorofeev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please provide messages printed by the Solaris kernel when vmblock driver fails to load.

(bug 427212 was filed for this)<!EndFragment>

0 Kudos
rosstimson
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem as well. I see there was a bug filed for this, is there anyway to be notified when this is fixed and a new compatible version is available?

0 Kudos
rjm
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on a bug fix for opensolaris vmware tools install?

0 Kudos
rjm
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on a bug fix for opensolaris vmware tools install?

0 Kudos
lmurbina
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue... any updates on this?

0 Kudos
bodger
Contributor
Contributor

I have this issue as well. There are drivers for XOrg up to 7.5 for Linux, so it should just be a recompile of the updated vmware_drv and vmmouse_drv for Opensolaris.

0 Kudos
Owyn
Contributor
Contributor

Bump.

5 months later, this is still an issue... Just installed an opensolaris 10 guest on VMware Fusion 3 and the vmware tools will not install due to this.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What about trying the "Open Virtual Machine Tools" as a workaround? Their latest release was a month ago and supposedly supports solaris...Haven't tried it myself though.

http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/

0 Kudos
bewst
Contributor
Contributor

I switched to VirtualBox and haven't looked back since.

0 Kudos
melo
Contributor
Contributor

Lack of proper support for OpenSolaris guest is holding back me from upgrading my vmware licenses. It should not require great effort to maintain vmware tools for opensolaris since the interfaces are stable (much more so than in e.g. Linux) and major releases come (predictably) twice a year.

I will wait until OpenSolaris 2010.02/03 comes out and if there is no progress by then, I will have to investigate other virtualization options.

0 Kudos
R2AD
Contributor
Contributor

I just started using Open Solaris and ran into this and have made some progress. I did use the latest version of beta Workstation (new player would work too) to ensure that I got the latest iso files for the VMware Tools files. This is what I have in the XOrg directory (copy/pasted from OpenSolaris):

sysadmin@gf1:/usr/lib/vmware-tools/configurator/XOrg# ls -la /usr/lib/vmware-tools/configurator/XOrg total 19 drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 7 Apr 9 03:25 . drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 5 Apr 8 22:10 .. drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4 Apr 8 22:10 6.8.x drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4 Apr 8 22:10 7.0 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4 Apr 8 22:10 7.1 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4 Apr 8 22:10 7.1_64 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Apr 8 22:10 7.4 -&gt; /usr/lib/vmware-tools/configurator/XOrg/7.1

After rebooting and after logging in, the mouse nicely moved in and out of the VM and copy/paste of text works. However I noticed that Drag/Drop for files was not working. So I ran this command and it now works only until the next time the box is rebooted:

rm -rf /var/run/vmblock ln -s /tmp/VMwareDnD /var/run/vmblock

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
noergelberni
Contributor
Contributor

Just upgraded to vmware fusion 3.0.2 and ran into the same problem. It looks like this one year old OS version is still not supported.

0 Kudos